cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joomla install error

Word_Warrior
Grafter

Joomla install error

Whether I put a copy of my existing ccgi Joomla website and db onto my second plesk account (greedy) or whether I put in a pristine version of  Joomla I get the same error message whilst going through the installation process. This error occurs just after the language selection. I.e. second stage of installation and it happens in both firefox and Safari.
An error has occurred.:
Cookies do not appear to be enabled on your browser client. You will not be able to install the application with this feature disabled. Alternatively, there could also be a problem with the server's session.save_path. If this is the case, please consult your hosting provider if you don't know how to check or fix this yourself.

I didn't get this when I copied my other domain in my other account, in fact all went as hoped for.
I have completely deleted the cookies. so assume it's the path indicated.
The only difference as I see it is that the first account has had the domain dns pointing at it but on this other account the domain dns hasn't been altered from the ccgi yet because I was concerned something like this would happen and leave me without an active site.
Any ideas?
5 REPLIES
Word_Warrior
Grafter

Re: Joomla install error

I can get this to work after a fashion if I delete the install directory and create (copy my ccgi configuration.php file) into the httpdocs folder. This of course interrogates the wrong database and collects the data from the current site and not the new one, but no matter what I do to amend it there seems to be a problem. ( I suspect I'm getting in over my head now)
What I don't understand is that it all went so smoothly when moving another site on a different account.
Help!!
I really need some help now as this is the most important and biggest site I run.
Regards
Andy
Word_Warrior
Grafter

Quote from: Word
Whether I put a copy of my existing ccgi Joomla website and db onto my second plesk account (greedy) or whether I put in a pristine version of  Joomla I get the same error message whilst going through the installation process. This error occurs just after the language selection. I.e. second stage of installation and it happens in both firefox and Safari.
An error has occurred.:
Cookies do not appear to be enabled on your browser client. You will not be able to install the application with this feature disabled. Alternatively, there could also be a problem with the server's session.save_path. If this is the case, please consult your hosting provider if you don't know how to check or fix this yourself.

This wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that my DNS doesn't point at the directory in plesk yet, would it?
Word_Warrior
Grafter

After much wailing and gnashing of teeth it is cracked! It would be churlish of me to say "I've cracked it" because it wouldn't be entirely true, maybe half a percent was me (if I'm generous) the rest is really down to Kev Mawson's unstinting help.
It's true to say that to create a pristine brand new Joomla website is fairly straight forward on the plesk platform I know because I've managed that with only a little help. but let this serve as a warning to the feint hearted. It's a completely different kettle of fish if you want to move a Joomla site from the old ccgi platform. It shouldn't be, I'm sure, but it is, particularly if it's a large site.
If you plan on moving a Joomla site to plesk (and you will have to eventually) here are a few things that may be of assistance.
1. Give your self a long time, you won't do it quickly
2. Be careful how you import your database, I think this is where I went wrong and without that your site is toast. (I think there is a restriction on file size so you'll have to do it in chunks)
3. Even if your Joomla components, Modules, plugins and templates appear to be there check again, chances are they aren't.
4. With your 3rd party components, modules and plug ins I found that it was best to uninstall them then re-install them in accordance with the instructions for that component, module or plug in.
I hope these observations help you to overcome any problems you may encounter. My knowledge of php, mysql is limited. So from someone who very nearly threw in the towel keep perseverance as your by word, you'll need it but you will get there.
Cheers Crazy Crazy Crazy
Word_Warrior
Grafter

An error has occurred.:

This wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that my DNS doesn't point at the directory in plesk yet, would it?

Does anybody know how to get past this first hurdle without having to ask Kev all the time. I'm almost certain it's a permissions problem but I can't think how to fix it. Also I can't think why I managed to install a previous pristine Joomla site without any trouble but this is now occurring?  I've got a couple more domains to set up with Joomla so I need to get it sorted.
Help!!!
Word_Warrior
Grafter

[font=Verdana]I feel like throwing in the towel now[/font]
As far as I can tell, if you want to set up (Install) a Joomla website on the plesk server before you actually point the domain at it through DNS Records you can't in Plesk but you could on the old ccgi. (somebody please show me I'm wrong) The Session Save path has to be enabled to continue past the first stage (select a language, [foul at the moment] )
I'm assuming you can create a subsection of the database using a different prefix i.e. newdb_ or something like that. That is another thing easily done in ccgi.
The only benefit I have seen so far of Plesk over ccgi is the addition of php5
Oh, and don't get me started on the stream of [censored] emails telling me I've gone over my allowance on another web space in plesk. Even upgrading that to a business package was short lived. What in the world is causing that to add stuff to my space and I can only assume that too many people are beating a path to my site or is Plesk just not doing it's sums correctly. But I digress.
Rant over. Can someone help, I know Kev is too busy with the roll out of this monster and the last thing he needs is me keeping asking him questions by PM Crazy Crazy Crazy