Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hosting testers required

Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hosting testers required

Hi guys,
We've just been having a discussion about the future of the current hosting platform(s) and one suggestion that's being considered is to shutdown the current CGI, MySQL and FrontPage platforms and replace them with a Pay As You Host account (Homepages would remain as is).
PAYH uses Plesk. What we are looking for now is to find a few of you guys (up to about 5 or so) to have a play with PAYH and tell us what you think.
Specifically what we want to know is do you think that PAYH will make a suitable replacement for the current CGI/MySQL/FP hosting platforms, does it do all (most) of the things that you currently use CGI for?
I want to set each of you with a test account, hopefully tomorrow if I can get your names by then and let you have a little time to try it out and see what you think.
Nothing's finalised yet, if things are missing it may be possible to add them, so make us a list I guess. Don't worry about being able to repoint URLs if we go ahead with this, there's no reason we can't point all existing ccgi. fp. www. URLs at PAYH, although for testing I think we'll just give you a .payh URL for now. Not sure if it's possible to create a new subdomain on a hosted domain and point it but we can try if you want.
There's a full list of the features here:
http://www.payh.co.uk/key.php
So who's up for giving it a try?
48 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Hosting testers required

I'm up for this - but I'm not sure how much time I'll be able to give it in the immediate future as I'm very busy at present and am away for a couple of weeks soon.
Could you give an indication on how mail configuration would be handled please. Is it the case that just the hosting side would be set to point to PAYH in the portal domain configuration whilst the email configuration would be unchanged or will this give us the opportunity to have separate mailboxes for john@username.plus.com and john@mydomain.co.uk?
My .me.uk domain is used for email only so I could use this to try other subdomain options. I'd love to be able to point http://forums.mydomain.me.uk at a specific directory.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

I'll give it a test as well - I can try out a few forums and other apps / utils.
Will this include a new MySQL account so I don't have to use my current one and thus reduce the likelihood of messing it up?
I notice the feature list shows php as version 4.4. Is this correct or does it actually support php5, either way what version is installed.
Is php run in cgi wrapper mode or within Apache (assuming it is Apache you use). i.e. can we protect php files with .htaccess or is it limited like the ccgi.
I have a freebie domain on my PN account I can test with. How easy would it be to transfer it to the new hosting and thus be able to create sub-domains on it?
Also interested in the email Qs Jelv has asked.
N/A

Dan (Assos) might be up for a play too - I know he has a couple of sites that he's looking at and playing with ATM.
I would volunteer, but I wouldn't use it enough to give you much in the way of worthwhile feedback I'm afraid.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

I'll happily play with it.  If you went with this, what would happen with email?  Would you just remove the email items off the plesk menus?
Phil
Community Veteran

Quote from: James_H
Dan (Assos) might be up for a play too - I know he has a couple of sites that he's looking at and playing with ATM.

Aye, I'll see what I can break Cheesy
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Thanks guys, can you each register for a PAYH account here:
https://payh.plus.net/signup.php
pick a standard account and then let me know the username and we'll get it created for you.
By default for now it's easier to create you a http://name.plus-payh.co.uk type URL so also let me know what you want to have for the name part.
We can transfer a domain across for you if you like, if it's currently got the Force9 tag you'd need to change the tag, if it's not we'd need you to change the nameservers. So for testing you might just want to use the URL we create. Up to you really.
Could you give an indication on how mail configuration would be handled please.

At the moment PAYH is completely separate from your normal email so if you moved the domain you would have separate mailboxes for the domain email to your PlusNet address. Exactly how this would work as part of a full switch over is yet to be decided. The easiest way would be if you used CGI for your domain you'd put the domain on JTN and host everything on PAYH - webspace (no reason to use Homepages any more really as a seperate entity if you are using PAYH, it'll stay as is for those that don't), email, etc.
Will this include a new MySQL account

Yes, completely separate database. If we do go this way then the existing MySQL platform would get retired.
I notice the feature list shows php as version 4.4. Is this correct or does it actually support php5, either way what version is installed.

Currently 4.4, phpinfo is here:
http://regster.co.uk/php.php
Plan is to upgrade to 5, it's in the workstack to be done just needs change control, time, etc.
Is php run in cgi wrapper mode or within Apache (assuming it is Apache you use). i.e. can we protect php files with .htaccess or is it limited like the ccgi.

No idea to be honest, give it a try and see what you can do.
How easy would it be to transfer it to the new hosting and thus be able to create sub-domains on it?

It's pretty easy but if it's an F9 tagged domain we'd need to move it to JTN so any records you have with that domain would be moved and your email would be handled by PAYH etc. It wouldn't exist on your PlusNet account any more. Sub domains can then be created through Plesk. Looks like a straightforward process.
Any more questions give me a shout and if I can get the usernames you register by tomorrow should be able to have you test accounts for the weekend.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Should also note that there's currently no shell access, although the file manager tool does look quite powerful. Be interesting to know if there's stuff you can't do that needs shell access.
Community Veteran

Dave, I've PM's my PAYH username.
One problem though, I can't login to the account using FF3. Works fine on IE7 - any reason for this?
On logging in, each of the FF3 logins has created a CP session
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Hmm.  I'm the other way around.  Can't get in with IE7.  Haven't got FF3 on my laptop to check that.  I've used payh in the past and couldn't get in from IE, only FF2.  There's a thread on the PUG forums somewhere.
Phil
Kev_Mawson
Grafter

Peter
Ive now added the domain on to your account for you.
With being unable to login, when you are on the site at the bottom of your browser, if I remember right you may having a flashing notification to add the site as a trusted site.
Let me know, if its not there and I'll see if i can find anything else.
Im using FF3 here with no issues
Community Veteran

Quote from: dave

pick a standard account and then let me know the username and we'll get it created for you.
By default for now it's easier to create you a http://name.plus-payh.co.uk type URL so also let me know what you want to have for the name part.

Username is Assos and same will be fine for the url Smiley
Kev_Mawson
Grafter

Added this for ya, just awaiting dns
Community Veteran

I can get in with safari but not FF3 in FF3 I just get sent back to the login page, I have nothing flashing down the bottom either. Once logged in with safari I was informed that there were other users logged in with my details, upon looking at the list, they're all from my IP so must be the attempts to get in with FF...
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

You might have to add the URL as a trusted site. Strangely just downloaded Firefox 3 (on OS X 10.5 on a G4) and it logged in fine.