cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confidentiality and purpose of this private forum

Ianwild
Grafter

Confidentiality and purpose of this private forum

The discussions we are having about our Next Generation Hosting platform are not secret, and I'm not asking any participants in this forum to exercise confidentiality that might be brought about by something like an NDA.
However,  I think the discussions will run most smoothly if they are kept behind closed doors until we have a cohesive plan and story to give to all of our customers, BT and the rest of the industry. As such, I'd ask that people refrain from repeating information published here, or if they do intend to publish anything from here they at least let us know first and give us a chance to discuss that with you. It's not binding as I say, but it would be appreciated. That will mean we can focus here on progressing the project rather than managing the comms (Which is why we haven't put this into the public domain in the first place).
I accept this is a bit of an experiment in how community consultation can work. I would ask that if anyone strongly objects to the approach, they withdraw from the process at this point...
Current invited participants:
Colin Ogilvie (PlusNet Web Team Developer)
Rick Walker (Developer)
Mike Grice (Senior Systems Admin)
Ben Brown (Network Ops Engineer)
John Elvin (Community Participant)
Peter Vaughan (PUG Member)
Ian Wild (Product Dev Manager)
Phil Webb (Networks Director)
Phil Marshall (pjmarsh - PUG Member)
Kelly Dorset (PlusNet)
Mcgurka (Community Participant)
Penny (Community Participant)
Samuria (Community Participant)
Please let me know if you are aware of anyone else who should be participating in these discussions, and of course if other staff, PUG or Community mods want to chip in then you are more than welcome.

Cheers,
Ian
4 REPLIES
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 3

Re: Confidentiality and purpose of this private forum

I'm lurking.
Community Veteran

I'll add my thoughts from a PUG prospective.... NDA aside
Having a number of 'closed' PUG forums that the 'core' PUG members and PlusNet have access too has been very constructive over the years and has lead to respect of peoples opinions on both sides. It has allowed both sides to be very candid and open on many topics which has resulted in a better solution to what was originally proposed on many occasions.
Having a closed forum allows you to focus on the subject in hand without many off-topic replies that would occur if discussions were out in the open. This often leads to a better understanding of the subject and thus very constructive comments can be made.
However, it is important to communicate, maybe in summary form or in more general terms, what is being discussed to the community in general as this then allows a wider audience to comment on say what proposals have so far been discussed / agreed. This then keeps off-topic / related comments away from the main discussions here so we don;t get swamped with information.
An NDA (which the core PUG members have signed) is only necessary when discussing commercially sensitive subjects and as Ian has already said, this subject is already known to the wider audience, albeit in simple terms, so an NDA is not necessary.
I hope the above helps those who are undecided.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Ian
I was the other PUG member put forward, and have access to this forum (obviously since I'm posting in it!), but am not on your list.
Phil
Ianwild
Grafter

Quote from: Peter
I hope the above helps those who are undecided.

Works for me!
My concern is that before we get to the point where we have a decided direction, we don't discuss too much with the community at risk of needing to spend a lot of time quelling speculation. It's also very important that no specific partner names are released during the negotiation periods.
Apart from that though, I think to have a hosting platform specced and overseen by members of our community from day 1 is a very good thing to do, and I'm hopefull we can make much better progress together than we would without this.
Ian