cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barry's Impressions of PAYH

Community Veteran

Barry's Impressions of PAYH

So, I wanted to test something on php 5.2 and I got Kev to set me up with a PAYH account on Plesk-host01
Initial problems logging into the Control Panel were solved by removing all "plus.net" cookies from my FF3 installation  (I'm guessing that the Plesk system may have a .plus.net overall domain cookie that conflicts with somewhere else Wink)
Logged in and familiarised myself with the system.  I've never used Plesk before (although I have used DirectAdmin which is one of it's competitors).
Some comments:
1.  I was expecting an initial FTP user to be set up, but it wasn't.  A quick 2 min job to do, but certainly should be documented for anyone creating their account automatically.
2.  MySQL setup was painless for me, as a techie-head, but certainly more documentation on how to do it should be available.
3.  One thing that really bothered me is the inability to decompress archives on the server.  I initially uploaded a .tar.gz file which I obviously couldn't decompress, so I had to decompress locally, and then upload all of the files individually.  "It would be nice" if you could command Plesk to decompress a file for you from the File Manager (in lieu of no SSH access).  IMO this is one thing that DirectAdmin does allow and it works very well.
4.  Support for php_ini overrides in .htaccess works perfectly, and as a whole the system seems very stable and functional.  I will be doing some more tests with various things over the next few days so I'll keep you posted.
B.
11 REPLIES
Kev_Mawson
Grafter

Re: Barry's Impressions of PAYH

Hi
Thanks for the feedback, keep it coming
With regards to the FTP account, when you add a domain you will be asked to choose an FTP user name and password, as I am adding the domains to your account for you, so that you are not charged I am not setting the password.
Paying customers will have this set when they add the domain.

Word_Warrior
Grafter

Okay, a couple of questions regarding a possible move to PAYH.
Now as I pointed out in my discussion with Kevin earlier I use Joomla Content management System. As such the best way to get either a full set up or just a patch upgrade on the site is to ftp the tar file then untar on the server. Believe me it saves oodles of time and it all gets there. As I understand from Barry, you can't do this on plesk. Is that correct?
Being a bear of very little brain I struggle with change (although not against it) I've tried the demo plesk site http://www.parallels.com/en/products/plesk/demo/ and find it unfamiliar to my usual ftp with Fetch, fiddle and faff with Dreamweaver, Telnet the cshell with Apple Macs Terminal. Can I still do this?
In short I'm happy with the methodology I'm currently using. I don't need a graphical user interface other than the Joomla one. I just want to separate my web sites from my Broadband account and get php5.
Kev_Mawson
Grafter

Hi
With  PAYH, we do not offer shell access, so you would not be able to upload the tar file and then decompress it, you would need to upload the files individually.
The decision was taken to not offer the shell access, although this may be changed in the future, but at present this is not something that we will be offering in the short term.
If you have any further queries, please feel free to get in touch.
Word_Warrior
Grafter

That's not very good, It takes far longer to upload full files and sometimes PN uploads falter and misses some files. Far far better to put the whole thing in one compressed file then untar it on the server. it's done in seconds without a hitch.
I don't think I'll be taking up your offer at the moment thanks.
Kev_Mawson
Grafter

Hi
Thanks for your comments, the Plusnet and PAYH FTP areas are completely different and are not linked in any way. Why not give the service a go with username.plushost.co.uk and see what the service is like.
If you want me to do that, please just raise a ticket on your account and let me know the ticket ID and Ill get the account and test subdomain on there for you.
Let me know if you have any further queries.
Word_Warrior
Grafter

Okay Kev, I think I'll have to bow to the inevitability of it all if I'm to get my sweaties on php5 without moving to another host.
I'll raise a ticket for one of my domains (.co.uk) and give it a try. My brain's hurting already just thinking about learning something else Crazy Be gentle with me, I'm over 50 and they'd only just advanced to fountain pens when I was at school  Grin (ball points were a definite no no)
I'll PM you when it's sorted.
Kev_Mawson
Grafter

Hi
To get started, we have now started the previews, please use the link below to request your account is added:
http://portal.plus.net/wizard/?wizard_id=20
If you have any issues, feel free to post and we will assist you all we can Cheesy
Word_Warrior
Grafter

Add Andy's impressions of PAYH or more importantly the mechanics of getting a site running on it.
First of all it seemed like I was faced with the steepest cliff face in the world add to that it had a surface of glass. However, the more you look at it and ask the experts you learn to see where the hand and footholds are. In short remove the blinkers, don't be afraid to ask and persevere.
I've only been playing with it for a day now and although I'm nowhere near the summit of the cliff I'm beginning to see where the best routes lie. I maybe will never reach the top but I'll get close.
If there is anyone else who is daunted by the prospect of changing to PAYH don't be, I'm no expert but with guidance from Kev Mawson and the forum team you'll get there.
...and I never thought I'd hear myself saying that yesterday!
Ianwild
Grafter

Is it worth moving this thread to the public web hosting forum now?
Maybe all such posts could be tagged [preview] in the subject though, just to make it easier to tell?
Ian
Word_Warrior
Grafter

Quote from: Ian
Maybe all such posts could be tagged [preview] in the subject though, just to make it easier to tell?
Ian

On the one hand, it's kinda cozy having our own little club here. But on the other it's public domain now, well plusnet domain. so maybe it's a good idea to share our thoughts.
I must admit I'm a lot more relaxed about the system now I've had a play. Just wish there was a quick and easy way to drag existing sites into plesk to reduce the stress levels Tongue
Word_Warrior
Grafter

Quote from: Ian
Ian

Yes, I think so. It's beginning to stagnate as it is.