cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wrieless security keys

pohelia

wrieless security keys

After a fault with my laptop I'm now trying to reconnect to my wireless connection, but can't for the life of me remember my security code. Is there a way to retrieve this or reset in on my main computer?
The main computer is running XP and the laptop is running Vista (if that makes a difference to setup etc)
I've tried creating a backup from the desktop onto a USB stick to transfer the settings but with no sucess, I'm not sure if that's due to the different operating systems or just be being stupid!
6 REPLIES 6
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: wrieless security keys

1. If you have a bit of ethernet cable, plug the lap top into the router and configure "wireless settings" on the router. You will need to know ip address, admin username & password.
2. Reset your router to "factory settings" and redo everything...
3. If you have another PC that can connect you could use it to remove wireless security & then re-enable wireless security...
+ other methods...

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

pohelia

if the desktop is connected via an ethernet cable, can I turn of the secuirty and then turn it back on, will that allow me to creat a new key?
If so, how do I do that in XP.
Sorry, I'm being really slow today.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

It all depends on your router.
Make a note of the type used and any keylengths etc
Using the wired connection, switch off or amend the wireless security key. By switching off your wireless security, then on again you will be asked for a wireless key.
Give the router the key (and write it down).
Logoff and remove the wired connection.
Then try to connect wirelessly; you will be asked for the key and you can enter it into the laptop. The usb key thing is more trouble than it's worth.
PS I haven't had to look at a Windows screen for months. You need to rebuild the wireless connection "scan for available networks" and select your network - I think this is in the settings part of "Start programs" - probably a yellow star as an icon.
You may find this referred to as "ZeroConf" configuration (hollow laugh) Smiley

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

hulls
Grafter

On my Belkin router setup, you have the choice to view the passkey, or not, via a radio button, so if you can connect to the router setup via a wired connection, you could just go and have a look.  I don't know if other routers have a similar option. Smiley
John
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've noticed the same thing on a 3com so some do, I'm not sure if it's an option on all routers though.
God
Grafter

Let us know what hardware you have then it is easier to give help!