Did you mean: 

woefully slow net

FIXED
darknight
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

woefully slow net

hey guys, 

thank you very much for the help you gave me in a problem we had about 2-3 month ago, (tractor broke the line )

but it seems a problem is now getting very bad again, at the moment with speed test checked,(bt) which even froze that at some point we have not really gone over 0.57 in about a week.as you can imagine this is painfully slow for even basic browsing.

it seems as theres only 3 of us living up this lane we are all getting virtually the same hinting at a line problem.

i wonder if you can somehow check this for us.

i do apologise as I cant allways ring your support, sometimes disability is a real pain, but easier for me with mail/text

thank you in advance

5 REPLIES 5
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: woefully slow net

@darknight  First thing I would check is your phone line - if that is poor then that needs sorting first. Have a look at this link: https://www.plus.net/help/phone/phone-line-troubleshooting/

If that comes back OK, we will have to explore other options. I can't remember if this is in that link, but before you follow that, complete a Quiet Line Test - dial 17070 from a (preferably corded) phone - it should be totally silent, apart from the 'quiet line test' voice message.

Are the other people concerned also with PN, or other ISPs?

Report back with whatever you find.

John
darknight
Dabbler

hey john,

yea sorry forgot to say already done all the quiet tests,

its 99% a line issue, our lines were cut a while ago, and as yet still not put back on lines, just left laying at side of field, ...thanks BT,  they are also on the main road messing around for whats been ages, and has got worse since then as well.

all different ISPs same problems, quiet line tests where we are are always a bit cracky, could be a cordless phone but as an idea we live in a over 300 year old cottage, line is about the same age Smiley

whenever we try and contact bt, they always so we ned to go through our ISP, hence really this post as an ask again, they (plusnet) have been a great help before, so much so our 2 neighbours who I recommended them too will be switching

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

OK @darknight , that extra information is a great help. You live in a slightly older property than me then 😉 9 I can only claim about 190 years for mine.

Joking apart though, if the actual phone lines are not on the poles - I assume they are supposed to be overhead cables - you should be able to report them direct to Openreach. As a first step, see if you can grab one of the engineers working on the main road and see if you can get anything out of them?

You could always try the phone number in this link: https://www.bt.com/help/landline/fix-a-problem/how-can-i-report-damage-to-bt-cables--poles--cabinets...

John
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Thanks for taking my call just now. 

I've booked an engineer visit with you to resolve the issue I detected on line tests and have added more information to your account here: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=205792995

Adam

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
darknight
Dabbler

Fix

hi Adam,

sorry for late reply, thank you so much for your help, the engineer came, so oh its not much wont take long, then he came back nearly all day the next day!

anyway he has reset the line too and all is running great, 

thanks again for your quick help in this, great support as usual.

apologies for missing your calls Smiley