Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wireless networks vanished!

glosoldspot
Grafter

wireless networks vanished!

Hi,
Just got a new router from PN as old one playing up. Our new laptop connected hunky dory, but when trying to connect our old laptop I punched in the code number when prompted and absolutley nada.....not only that when I wenttot view available wireless networks ours and all surrounding ones had vanished, saying it couldn't detect any wireless networks!
On our new laptop everything is fine, can see all networks and  connects ok....so what the heck has happened to the other laptop. I did turn on and off the wireless on the laptop but to no avail.
Any idea what has happened/what I've done wrong and how to get back online wirelessly from the other laptop?
19 REPLIES 19
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: wireless networks vanished!

Hi glosoldspot,
Did you turn the wireless on and off from an interface or via a switch on the laptop?
Jojo Smiley
glosoldspot
Grafter

a switch on the laptop.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi glosoldspot,
I have an IBM laptop and when that happened to me I also had to re-enable it though the computer.
Jojo Smiley
glosoldspot
Grafter

Umm.....from my respsonse to another post you may realise I am useless tech wise....how do I re-enable...is there an obvious tab I have to click or something?
Thanks again for prompt replies!
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

What's the make and model of your laptop?
glosoldspot
Grafter

It's an Evesham, I do know that....beyond that I'm not sure...an Advent? Does that sound about right. Got it a while ago so can't remember the specific model.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi goldspot,
I had a bit of a google, you may find some answers on here.
Hope that helps.
Jojo Smiley
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

This has happened to me, a couple of times... (Dell Inspiron Laptop)...
"windows can`t find any networks"...
After playing around with the wireless switch, off, then on, and re-booting,  nothing.... then I remembered that I have two ways of "managing" the wireless network.. it can be done with the Windows standard network manager, or it can be switched to Dell wireless manager.... and you actually "choose" the manager... "allow this to manage your wireless network"...
Not sure if the Evesham has similar wireless network manager....  might be worth checking in your "systems" or control panel > networks ( or maybe Evesham Wireless Card)
You may also know that Evesham Computers has ceased trading a couple of years ago, however some of the senior staff have started a company together, that will repair Evesham products... (probably at a cost to the customer)  They have a website
http://www.tewktech.com/
and here is the contact us details....
Tewktech

Contact
Address:
12 Church Street
Tewkesbury
Gloucestershire
GL20 5PA
UK
E-mail: info@tewktech.com
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Telephone: 01684 298100
http://www.tewktech.com
If you can`t figure it out ..... it may be worth a phone call to them, to see if they can advise you over the phone....

glosoldspot
Grafter

Thanks for the help, will try both pieces of advice.
As it happens I live near Tewkesbury so may well call in and see them!
puddy
Grafter

Have you turned the laptop upside down to see if it has a model number sticker a long with its serial number info?

Puddy
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

I have seen this happen when i was fixing an older dell laptop... the wireless networks showed up randomly, and no matter what, it refused to connect to my network... it ended up being, the laptop only supported 802.11b, and router was set to 802.11g only. i switched router to b and g mode and all worked fine.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

That looks like a very good spot to me. My next door neighbour was trying to to get an old notebook working and ran in to the same problem.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
glosoldspot
Grafter

Still no joy!
Ok, so I uninstalled to re-install the driver, no change. I tried to revert the wireless driver, would'nt let me.I disabled and then enabled it, but nothing. I did a system restore on the laptop. This resulted in finding wireless networks, but yet again as soon as I keyed in my wireless key it could no longer detect any wireless networks.
How do I check whether my laptop supports 802.11b or 802.11g....whatever they are, to see if this solves it!?
The only serial number visible is MS-10391B
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

A suggestion is to download and run Belarc Advisor, see what the motherboard is and if there is any help directly from their site.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine