cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wireless connection

sweeney

wireless connection

This is my first attempt on this site.Not sure who can reply to this basic question.
I am trying to connect my desktop computer to my plusnet router but it does not have a wireless connection.
My desktop operates on XP.Can I connect using a USB wireless adapter and if so will any adapter work?
Regards
Sweeney
7 REPLIES 7
AxeMurderer
Grafter

Re: wireless connection

Yes
More or less any one should work but I would buy either one by the same manufacturer as the router or one that someone says they have got working with XP (have a look at the user reviews on Amazon for example). Here's an example one that seems like a good bet: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-Internet-Adaptor-150Mbps-Windows/dp/B004S7WTJQ/ref=sr_1_37?ie=UTF8&...
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I am trying to connect my desktop computer to my plusnet router but it does not have a wireless connection.

Some people don't realise that the PlusNet Wireless router also provides wired connections.
Is the desktop too far away from the router to use a wired connection ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

BTW welcome to the forum sweeney Smiley
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
AlaricAdair
Champion
Fixes: 1

I've had Belkin USB wireless devices working ok with XP (Service pack 2 and more recent) with a range of wireless routers.  The only real issue was making sure the USB wifi device supports the same encryption as your ADSL router eg WAP, WEP, etc but it will state that on the box.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
sweeney

Thank you all for your suggestions.I am now more confident to go ahead and purchase.Thank you for the link AxeMurderer.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: MisterW
Is the desktop too far away from the router to use a wired connection ?

In concur with this suggestion. If having a wire running from your PC to the router is not inconvenient that should always be your first choice as it will give the best connection. Unless the PC is very old it is highly likely it will have an ethernet port, probably with a symbol like beside it. All you would then need is an ethernet cable - they can be up to 100m long without causing problems. Setting up an ethernet port is often easier than setting up wireless - and cheaper.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

sweeney,
If you're looking to purchase a wireless dongle one thing to be aware of is the different types of wireless connection. These are commonly referred to as B, G or N. Some new ones only cater for N, if using our Thomson 585 v.8 router I'd make sure you get one that can cater for all 3. You should be able to find that info on any product description or on the packaging of them...
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team