cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wireless connection

mrblack

wireless connection

since my upgrade to plusnet fibre to the cabinet i  am unable to connect to some wireless equipment  namely satellite receivers in the bedrooms. i have thee in total, the wired box connects no problem. i have entered the new password but still nothing. i am thinking it might be to do with the plusnet router security settings. default is wpa/wpa2-psk(tkip/aes)  could it be that these particular receivers cannot handle the newer security encryption. 
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: wireless connection

It is possible that the encryption might not be supported, what does the satellite unit WiFi say it is capable of ?
If you have the Plusnet supplied router, then it could be the wireless range that is the problem, as many people on this forum complain about that.
Have you considered connecting your satellite receivers using powerline adaptors - they are MUCH better than wireless.
Out of interest, what satellite receivers do you have ?
mrblack

hi purleigh, thanks for your quick reply. in answer to your questions. i don't know how to check what encryption my sat box is capable of recieving.  i have the standard plusnet router. i have considered homeplugs but they cost more than std wifi. i have chinese skyboxes.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: mrblack
i don't know how to check what encryption my sat box is capable of recieving.

So how do you configure the WiFi connection, in order that they link to your network (and not to your neighbours) ?
i have the standard plusnet router

I still reckon it's the poor wireless range of those routers.
i have considered homeplugs but they cost more than std wifi

That depends where you buy them from, and whether you would consider second hand.
Just yesterday I received a brand new and sealed pair of these, but bought on eBay for £3.20  Cool
They have now been added to the other dozen or so similarly purchased powerline adaptors on my home network.
i have chinese skyboxes.

Unfortunately I know nothing about those,  but I spent years writing the software for many of the UK designed satellite modems.
mrblack

hi purleigh, and thank you for all your help. when i connect to my receivers it brings up a list of local internet providers, and i chose plusnet. if i still cannot connect i will have to look at homeplugs but feel like why when i could connect before upgrading to fibre!!  i can connect family phones and laptops. cannot connect  my Chinese receivers wireless
Anonymous
Not applicable

So if I am understanding this correctly -
You can access your satellite receiver(s) configuration, that can scan and see a Plusnet wireless network, but when you enter the new WiFi password for your new Fibre router, then no network connection is established.
Is this currently the case, or is that how it was done previously ? - what I am trying to establish is whether your receivers can still see your Plusnet wireless signal ?