cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wifi speed

snailspace171
Grafter

wifi speed

Quick question.,... What is the maximum possible WiFi speed of the latest technicolor fibre optic router?
I get speeds of 60mb when connected via cable, but over WiFi, I get only between 15 and 25mb. Even on a fairly new computer with wireless N.
Now, I understand that WiFi is never going to be as fast as Ethernet, but i 'd assume more than this would be acceptable....?
13 REPLIES 13
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: wifi speed

Hi there,
the maximum wireless speed depends on a number of factors, mainly these would be things such as distance between the device and the router, whether the device is also n compatible and the wireless channel being used so unless you have already those are factors worth considering.
FYI if possible you might want to try inSSIDer http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/ as this can help to identify local wireless traffic across the different wireless channels and frequencies and can help in making an informed decision as to which wifi channel to use.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
snailspace171
Grafter

Thank you. I tried changing channel, but not much difference in speed.
Failing that, is it possible to use a third party router with the BT modem? As long as it was classed as a cable router?
I previously had a netgear ADSL router that was supposed to go up to 300 mb. I understand I can no longer use that one, but am I free to buy a 300mb cable router, to use instead?
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Quote from: snailspace171

is it possible to use a third party router with the BT modem? As long as it was classed as a cable router?

Yes.
If you search the forum you'll find many of us are, one of main reason being the Technicolors WiFi  performance...
snailspace171
Grafter

Ah yeah, I've just been browsing through the pages to see what other people have suggested.
I see the Asus router comes quite highly recommended?
Sebtomato
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I bought the ASUS RT-N56U and got fibre installed today.
Router is working fine, although it does take much longer to initially connect than the Plusnet one.
snailspace171
Grafter

You mean it takes a long time for the modem to connect to the router?
Blim
Grafter

Hi,
I'm using the TG582n with a firmware to allow one of the lan ports to be used as a WAN/PPPoE port and connect to my FTTP Openreach modem.
I did my own way of testing to find the best channle by simply opening up a Command Promps and and typing "ping -t 192.168.1.254" on the wireless device, in this case a laptop. I run this test while changing the channle untill it reads 1-2ms all the time but no too far from the router its self. This test will ping out the router/lan-gateway (192.168.1.254 in my case).
Anyway yeah so I managed to get the wireless working well and got a nice 71mb speed out of it. Pritty good considering the TG582n has no external aerial. The speed didnt drop much when I walked to the other side of the house too.
snailspace171
Grafter

OK so that is basically the best way of working out which is the best wireless channel to use?
I might give this a try
Blim
Grafter

I dont know if its the best way but it works for me. I do that untill I find the channle with the lowest latency reading.
Let me know how it works out.
snailspace171
Grafter

OK thanks.
I have to go out now, but I'll try that tomorrow.
Sebtomato
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

it takes a long time for the modem to connect to the router?

It takes much longer for the ASUS router to connect to the internet through the modem. The Plusnet router seems to be much quicker to establish the PPOE connection. Not really an issue anyway.
snailspace171
Grafter

Ah OK then.
My plus net one seems to take ages as it is!
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I previously had a netgear ADSL router that was supposed to go up to 300 mb. I understand I can no longer use that one, but am I free to buy a 300mb cable router, to use instead?

You can't use it as a router but I would think you should be able to use it as a wireless access point.
Connect it using an Ethernet patch cable to the TG582 - give it an IP on the same subnet but outside the TG582 range (e.g. 192.168.1.60)
Disable DHCP on the Netgear.
Disable the wireless on the TG582.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)