cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wifi not working

trufflesdad
Grafter

wifi not working

Very odd...My mobile phoe and computer see a connection yet if I rtry to connect to the www it tells me no connection..On my wired connection I can connect to my linux box yet on another port I cannot connect to my laptop it tells me no connection..I have tried
swapping the leads to no avail..I did notice the wifi had slowed down and my ipod had ceased to get a connection yet it tells me I have a strong signal...Any help welcome
7 REPLIES 7
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: wifi not working

Trufflesdad,
Sounds like you are describing a situation where your WiFI is working OK , but your internet connection (out of your router) is not.
Can you identify which router you are using, which lights are on / colour etc?
Do you know how to logon into your router to find out the connection status?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I'm afraid you aren't being very clear on what works and what doesn't. Can you tell us which model of modem/router it is? Have you tried a factory reset at all?
Apart from answering the questions that townman has asked,  can you clarify the following -
You have a Linux computer (as opposed to a Windows one) and it's connected via an ethernet cable to one port on the modem/router and it works and you can connect to the Internet and browse etc.?
trufflesdad
Grafter

Quote from: townman
Trufflesdad,
Sounds like you are describing a situation where your WiFI is working OK , but your internet connection (out of your router) is not.
Can you identify which router you are using, which lights are on / colour etc?
Do you know how to logon into your router to find out the connection status?

Thanks for the reply
The router is a tg585 v8 and all the elights are green. The router will not allow me to log in as it does not accept
the password either a Administrator or admin..I knnow the router is connected ass I can pick up a strong signal
on my phone but cannot connect to the browser.This port on my Linux system works ok hard wired but if I move to
another port on the router it ceases to connect..
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I would try a factory reset of the modem/router. See this guide for the 585 for help logging in, trouble shooting etc.
If you cannot log into it after a reset then it's probably fubar.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Quote from: trufflesdad
The router will not allow me to log in as it does not accept the password either a Administrator or admin.

The username should be "Admin" and the default password is the serial number, which I believe starts with CP
Quote from: trufflesdad
I knnow the router is connected ass I can pick up a strong signal on my phone but cannot connect to the browser. This port on my Linux system works ok hard wired but if I move to another port on the router it ceases to connect..

Being able to get connected on WiFi to the router is quite a different matter to connecting through the router to the internet.  On any device, in any configuration which you consider to be working, can you connect to the PlusNet portal?  If the answer is yes, then it would suggest that some routing configuration has been 'bent.' such that one or more interfaces (ports and WiFi) are being prevented from connectiong through the router to the internet.  You might want to consider doing a factory reset of your router.  At least that will provide a known start point.
If you cannot get to PlusNet from anything using the router, then there is a different problem.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi trufflesdad,
I'm guessing you had no luck with your current router as a new one is on it's way to you.
Let us know how you get on with it.
trufflesdad
Grafter

Superb service, router arrived this morning !!
jim:quote