Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wifi extender at home

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: wifi extender at home

I set this up at my daughter's last week with different channels and different SSIDs so I know which access point I am connected to.
Simply connect each device, laptop, mobile etc to the new access point so they know about and use it when necessary and it works fine.
Devices do hang on for dear life to a weakening signal when moving between rooms but eventually let go and connect to the nearer one.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
mikethackery
Dabbler

Quote from: npr
Did you try deleting and re-creating the PC's wireless network?

Yes, I've just tried that, in fact deleting and recreating from both areas of the house to see if it made a difference which router was initially available and unfortunately it didn't  Sad
mikethackery
Dabbler

Quote from: Strat
I set this up at my daughter's last week with different channels and different SSIDs so I know which access point I am connected to.
Simply connect each device, laptop, mobile etc to the new access point so they know about and use it when necessary and it works fine.
Devices do hang on for dear life to a weakening signal when moving between rooms but eventually let go and connect to the nearer one.

Yes, I originally had 2 different SSIDs on different channels but found devices weren't switching SSIDs to the most powerful signal.  That's why I was trying to get automated switching working "properly".  I know it's not a big deal, you can click on the wireless icon in the system tray and disconnect/reconnect, either to the same SSID (for same SSID routers) or the alternate SSID (for 2 SSID setups).  And for me, as the "tech savvy" person in the house, it's easy to recognise when needed and do it.  But it's annoying for me that, as the "tech savvy" person in the house, I get all the "why is the internet so slow?" messages shouted around the house.  So it's even more annoying that something that should allow the automatic switching to remove those shouts and give me a more peaceful life doesn't work.  Undecided