Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wi-fi constantly disconnecting

jdubzzr
Hooked

wi-fi constantly disconnecting

Hi,

I'm posting this to try and get some help for my elderly mum, the wifi connection from the Plusnet router to her Windows 10 laptop has started disconnecting within a few seconds of being connected. The router is a TG582N. Her laptop is the only device that accesses the wifi, the connection was working fine until the last week or so. When she connects it reports "connected, secured" for a few seconds and then disconnects, and just reports "secured". It  does this with the laptop in the same room as the router.

I'm limited to trying to help her over the phone, the connection doesn't stay up long enough to allow me to connect remotely. I really don't want to have to visit in person given the current climate.

She's not very technical so I don't think getting her to phone the support line is going to be much use.

Any suggestions welcome as to how to proceed with this,

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Re: wi-fi constantly disconnecting

Hi @jdubzzr, welcome to the forum.

Could you please send me a private message with the account username so we can look into this issue for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thank you for the pm @jdubzzr,

I have run tests on your line and we've detected a external fault that more than likely will be the thing causing the issues. I have raised the fault up with our suppliers who have given us the standard 2 working day turn around time and estimated response time of 20/03/20 by 23:59. Keeping in mind this is the very latest a engineer would be out to investigate the issue and it could be resolved sooner. I've raised a fault ticket on the account and placed it on hold until the morning of 21/03/2020 so our faults team can check to see if your issue has been resolved.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
jdubzzr
Hooked

Great,

Thanks for your help.

J

Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

You're welcome @jdubzzr,

Please let us know if anything changes.

Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
jdubzzr
Hooked

Hi, the fault ticket for an external fault on the line is now closed, but the problem is the same unfortunately.

Laptop connects to wifi but then disconnects after a short time.

Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @jdubzzr, sorry to hear that.

I have tested the line and the same fault has been detected so I have raised back again to Openreach engineers to investigate. The estimated response time is by 23:59 on 25/03/2020

I would recommend filling in our additional support form here so that we can then register it on the account and will consider the extra needs for your mum including fault priorities, I hope this helps.

Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
jdubzzr
Hooked

Unfortunately this problem keeps recurring, my mum hasn't been able to get on to the internet at all today.

It was working a few days ago but has since stopped working.

I filled in the additional support form as suggested.

Thanks,

John

tinytaco
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

@jdubzzr Hi there Smiley I am sorry that the issue has come back, I will raise this now and discuss this with the account holder. Thanks for letting us know Smiley

Noor
 Plusnet Help Team