Did you mean: 

why has dlm banded me yet again?

bluewhale
Rising Star

why has dlm banded me yet again?

as far i know i had a good connection?
i bounced my router last night to pick up the plusnet profile change
and suddenly today we are back to banding world
can plusnet please tell my what the dlm thinks it's doing here?
am i missing drops?  Roll_eyes
11 REPLIES 11
scootie
Grafter

Re: why has dlm banded me yet again?

i know how it feels bud, i really do http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,75667.msg667242.html#msg667242
what time did yours get a applyed
bluewhale
Rising Star

bout an hour ago
bluewhale
Rising Star

do i need to raise yet another ticket to help me resolve this?
really don't want to have to jump through those hoops
would like to lnow what plsnet are seeing from their side, ie was there lots of disconnects i wasn't aware of?
scootie
Grafter

in my case i didnt see any drops in sync in the 2 days, but i did notice this morning the ppp sesion had droped at about 5am.
it could only had bein the slightly higher error rate on this fastpath line that the DLM didnt like, personally i just dont think the DLM raises the NM in steps and instead jumps to the top NM and bands you before dropping down the NM in steps in till it gets to the that NM it cant handle and so jumps back to 15db on a band and starts the game all over again.
i come to this thinking as ive never seen my NM raise from say 6 to 9db or 9 to 12db. if it would try 12db pretty often it would learn thats the stable noise margin. but then again i gave it a 30day long sync at 12db and it still didnt learn from that
would be easyer if BTw would let you say reset my connection to 12db, instead of them unbanding you and just doing a default 6db NM reset as the dlm on long lines dosent like this and just heads for band on 15db
bluewhale
Rising Star

but i wasn't getting any serious errors on the line at all
i feel that it has reset because it remembers what was happening last week
my guess is that when the banding is removed the history is left which is not good at all
i would really like plusnet to get btw to give us more info on how this works
the way this is going i can see plusnet ending up with the same disaster when we musved to plusdsl
which was all due to btw, but cost plusnet reputation
if any plusnet people are watching can they tell me how many drops i had in the last 24 hours?
and can the banding be removed again
and can they tell me how to get the profile changed picked up without a disconnect 😞
ramidoodle
Grafter

Hi,
As this is the second time your line is being put on a banded profile, I'd suggest raising an intermittent fault on your account and please advise that this is the second time so that we can get to the bottom of the problem rather than going through an infinite loop.
scootie
Grafter

well ive asked to chuck interleaving on now am not going to be using this line, so i will log in now and then to see what the DLM is up to and if interleaving calms the kid gloved DLM down ( i doubt it thoe as i was only getting 100 extra ES at 9db over what i got at 12 db and 12 db stayed good for 30 days before the dlm saw it was good and droped me to 9db)
trust me bluewhale this DLM does not learn. ive had mine reset once since since april and allowed it to band me with out doing anything, i can ceratainly say the DLM did not learn that my line was perfect at 12db for a whole month even thoe it did see it at the time and lower my NM.
bluewhale
Rising Star

is there no way to keep this semi informal
ie i would like to know how many drops happened since the last banding removal
bluewhale
Rising Star

Quote from: Asbo
trust me bluewhale this DLM does not learn

well all i can say is that something has changed somewhere as i was stable from the start of the 2+ trial,
then things started to go wrong and it seems impossible to get back to scratch
i reckon the dlm does hold a long history of whats happened on your line and that's adding to my problems, pity it doesn't subkey it by mac address as it would then know new equipment was in place
and so reset ...
i'd love to see the software functional spec that the dlm is using...
with 1 disconnect in 2 days theres no way i should be back to 6000 and a ludicrous noise margin....
bluewhale
Rising Star

one other bizare thing was that when on the high downstream rate the dlm put a high margin on the upstream which cut the speed to 888
now i'm on the low downstream rate the upstream has gone back to 6db and full speed....
LNNFN
Dabbler

Quote from: bluewhale
one other bizare thing was that when on the high downstream rate the dlm put a high margin on the upstream which cut the speed to 888

Now that is bizarre! I also have a FIXED upstream sync rate of 888kb/s (it's a bit low!).
I initially thought that the sync rate was the 'negotiated' result of an unusually high upstream TARGET SNR. However, after seeing your post, I realised that this may not be the case.
I now know for a fact that I'm on FIXED upstream and downstream sync rates!
Why did Plusnet not do this a month ago when I raised Question | ID: 30567017?
Instead, I received threats;
BT have completed comprehensive remote diagnostics on your service and have been unable to locate any service faults. Due to this, BT are currently requesting an appointment for an engineer to attend and review the fault from your property.
It should be noted that such a visit is not intended to fix problems with internal cabling, modems or other devices on your line.
Through our advice you should have already completed comprehensive checks to verify such elements are not the source of the problems experienced. If BT were to find that equipment and/or cabling under your own control is the source, charges may apply at a value of £144+vat.
This would have resulted in a 'NFF' and a bill for ~£200. The line does not have any instability issues nor does the CPE lose sync with the DSLAM/MSIL unless initiated by BT Wholesale or the End-User.
Insults;
The target SNR is 6dB but the DLM is actively increasing this to try to stablise the line.
The downstream TARGET SNR was 15dB at the time of that statement - I have the pictures (although the TARGET SNR was reduced to 12dB next day)! The only unstable element is BT Wholesale's Destructive Line Management!
If the line was unstable, it would have lost sync in the 36 hours before OpenReach pulled the plug, then re-inserted it, then pulled it etc. Sync was not lost during that period - Again, I have the pictures!
Plusnet have lost 2 x accounts due to the effects of BT Wholesale's Destructive Line Management.
Quote from: bluewhale
...i'd love to see the software functional spec that the dlm is using...

I'd also love to see that (if it exists), but I fear that the author(s) would be too embarrassed to release that information for public scrutiny.