cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why cant we connect

Teds31
Grafter

why cant we connect

My B in L who is a PN client like me , when he comes and brings his laptop he cant get on my broadband ,why is this , he can try any other connections within wireless reach until they ask for a code but the PN wireless connection refuses to accept his attempt to connect. We are both using the supplied Thomson router.
22 REPLIES 22
tony8436
Grafter

Re: why cant we connect

I had a similar problem. I could connect to PN on my computer, but my wifes laptop, which did connect until recently, suddenly couldn't even see the router. She could see and connect to other wireless networks in range, just not ours.  It took alot of fault finding but turned out to be the network device in her laptop.  She now uses a USB networking card and can connect again.  Not saying that this is the problem you are having but maybe worth considering.  Have you tried to connect another laptop to your network to see if it is his laptop that is causing the problems.  Also, a USB network card would only cost a few quid so may be worth trying.
Teds31
Grafter

Thanks for the reply Tony, it appears that we can get any computer NOT using PN to connect but not ones with another PN wireless connection elsewhere.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: Teds31
We are both using the supplied Thomson router.

But have you both updated it to the latest firmware which overcomes some wireless connection problems?
tony8436
Grafter

In which case I'll let somebody with a bit more knowledge about wireless networks take it from here.  As was suggested to me in another thread, let the people in the forums help as they know what they are talking about and can guide you through anything that needs doing to resolve this problem.  Just out of interest, can your laptop connect to his network?
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

linky  to related thread and firmware
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Thank you Peter, I always forget where to find the firmware upgrade, which is here: http://community.plus.net/library/hardware/how-to-upgradedowngrade-the-firmware-on-the-thomson-585v7... (and which also has an update for the 585v8, despite the page title).
The actual thread you linked may not be relevant.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Thanks for the reply Tony, it appears that we can get any computer NOT using PN to connect but not ones with another PN wireless connection elsewhere.

I've not got a PlusNet TG585 but does anyone know if they all have the same default SSID 'PlusNet_Wireless ?
AFAIK the password is different for each router ( its the serial number ). If that's the case then that would explain the problem, the PC's which have been connected have stored the password for the SSID, which will be wrong for another Plusnet TG585.
Solution would be to change the SSID on one router to something different.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The SSIDs for each router should be different, normally they incorporate part of the device mac to achieve this.
David
Teds31
Grafter

Lots of replies here and thanks to everyone, it was just a enquirey that seems to be more wide spread than I thought. So I will try to give a better explanation of what happens. When some one who does not have PN as their ISP tries to connect to our Thomson router they get the connect box then they are asked to give the secuity code ,then they are  connected. With a computer that is normally using PN as their ISP when they try to connect to another Thomson router having PN as their ISP they are refused and dont get chance to put in the security code. Hope thats a bit clearer.
Teds31
Grafter

Back again  Embarrassed  my router is a thomson TG585v7, I take it that the upgrade doesn't apply.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Teds31,
You have a Thomson v7, that IS the answer. Thomson v7s broadcast the SSID PlusnetWireless and their laptop probably thinks it's trying to connect to its own router and will apply the stored wireless key (which doesn't match) and therefore won't connect. The way round this is to go into the wireless networks tab in the wireless network connection icon in network connections and remove it then try to connect. It will then ask you for the wireless key which you can add. You will however have to do this again once the laptop returns to its home address.
Jojo Smiley
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

or mabye do what I suggested earlier...
Solution would be to change the SSID on your router to something different.

Bear in mind though you will then have to reconnect all your existing wireless devices to the new SSID

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

stephenw10
Rising Star

Hmmm, doesn't that cause a problem if you have two or more Plusnet customers living in close proximity?  Huh
Steve
Teds31
Grafter

Thanks Jojo will try that on the next occation. Smiley