Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

whats going on!?!

Blim
Grafter

whats going on!?!

http://www.plus.net/support/service/network_performance/network-latency.shtml
Thought this lag was ment to go away after the football and iphone 5 app mass downloads.
This isnt acceptable! Whats going on? why am I paying for the pro addon with this type of latency. I could be paying £12 a month for uncaped un-managed connection but yet I pay £30 for the same quality but a download cap.
jim:green link fixed mod:end
23 REPLIES 23
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: whats going on!?!

Anotherone
Champion

see also Service Status http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1349201651.htm and pcl-ag04 isn't the only one with a problem, pcl-ag08 also dropped a load of users at the same time. A short while ago I was dropped off ptn-ag04  Huh
Anotherone
Champion

Not only does the Service Status need updating but I don't know why Matt is suggesting people power down their modem/router when logging into the the modem/router and clicking Disconnect/Connect on the Internet (PPP session) interface is usually sufficient.
Blim
Grafter

I've just disconnected and re-connected over 7 times now. If thats 7 gateways I've tryed I dunno but they all seem the same. latency spikes in all. Not good man!
Anotherone
Champion

You should check after you hop that you are on another gateway. With 2 Gateways down and the others congested, you can't guarantee every hop will put you on another or even back onto one you've been on.
I have been on the phone to CSC to get someone to update the Service Status to give a clearer picture of the current situation.
Edit: Ticket #60567945 refers, but it has not be added to by the agent or manager I spoke to  Shocked
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi guys,
Sorry I didn't pick up on this earlier.
Quote from: Anotherone
see also Service Status http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1349201651.htm and pcl-ag04 isn't the only one with a problem, pcl-ag08 also dropped a load of users at the same time. A short while ago I was dropped off ptn-ag04  Huh

Ah, sorry about that - I'm on call and was only aware of pcl-ag04 when I posted that. I would have updated but it seems that things have settled since and the graphs are looking alright balance wise.
Not only does the Service Status need updating but I don't know why Matt is suggesting people power down their modem/router when logging into the the modem/router and clicking Disconnect/Connect on the Internet (PPP session) interface is usually sufficient.

Indeed, it's better all round. Unfortunately a lot of our customers don't actually know how to do that, so if we put that out as a service status there's a fair chance we'll get more people phoning to find out how to do it 😕
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I just checked and I was kicked off at 8.00pm
Anotherone
Champion

Thanks for your reply Matt, but I not sure I can agree. pcl-ag04 has 8.24k users and pcl-ag08 has 9.94k looking at the graphs just now. Compared to 36-40k on most of the other gateways that doesn't seem too balanced to me, I can only assume that those 2 gateways are out, especially with no update to the service status spelling out the current situation which is poor to say the least.
The latencies on 21CN WBC do seem to have reduced significantly now, however I have addressed that point in another thread.
I've edited reply #5 to refer to the ticket ID, but I think it somewhat poor that no comment has been added subsequent to my phone call.
Whilst I accept your point that some users will not know how to Disconnect/Connect the Internet PPP session (maybe they should learn!) perhaps the last sentence of such Service Status notices should in future read -
"If you are still experiencing problems getting back online then  please log into your modem/router interface and click Disconnect then/or Connect of your Internet (PPP) session or failing that please try powering down your modem/router for 20 minutes before trying again".
Blim
Grafter

Thing don't seem that normal to me yet, I'm still seeing spikes 10x my normal ping.
To tell you the truth, the way new games have gone (delay in hit detection) and the trubble I've had with Internet over the years I don't see my self forking out for a nice connection again. Since the end of UT2k4 days thing have gone downhill massively.
It's a constant battle to try retain some quality in the world of online gaming.
Plusnet was my last ditch attempt to regain some old fun, guess thats just never going to happen.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

pcl-ag04 has 8.24k users and pcl-ag08 has 9.94k looking at the graphs just now. Compared to 36-40k on most of the other gateways that doesn't seem too balanced to me, I can only assume that those 2 gateways are out, especially with no update to the service status spelling out the current situation which is poor to say the least.

Granted, but while they are (were, hopefully by now) less populated there were no ill effects being reported and there was no need to do any kicking, so no effects on users' connections that needed reporting. The two gateways affected had extra entries put onto them so new connections are more likely to connect to those thus addressing the balance.
I've edited reply #5 to refer to the ticket ID, but I think it somewhat poor that no comment has been added subsequent to my phone call.

Hmm, sorry about that - I did advise the lady you talked to on how to reply to your ticket, but it seems the reply was put onto closed ticket number 60568519 rather than onto the one you'd opened - sorry about that.
I should also say, yours was the only complaint we received into the CSC about the service status (at least, as far as I'm aware). I was also surprised to find this thread as quiet as it was when I logged in to check on what the agent was reporting. Out of hours service status posts will only be made or updated if there are large amounts of complaints or calls coming in to our support centre.
Whilst I accept your point that some users will not know how to Disconnect/Connect the Internet PPP session (maybe they should learn!) perhaps the last sentence of such Service Status notices should in future read -
"If you are still experiencing problems getting back online then  please log into your modem/router interface and click Disconnect then/or Connect of your Internet (PPP) session or failing that please try powering down your modem/router for 20 minutes before trying again".

I think that's a good compromise, cheers for that - we'll start doing so.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: Blim
Thing don't seem that normal to me yet, I'm still seeing spikes 10x my normal ping.

Just a thought on that issue Blim - is there any other traffic going over your line when you're gaming? If so, the pro add-on might be causing the issues as that'll be prioritising everything rather than the gaming. Would you be willing to try removing that for a month to see if it helps? Happy to refund you the fiver for that one if you like. I think that'd be a good move as it'd push your gaming traffic to the front of the queue rather than sending it with everything else that's going.
Please let me know, cheers.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Having a P2P application running in the background which was sharing files with other users (even if not downloading new files for you) would have a disastrous effect on a gamer with the Pro option!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
ffox
Pro

For the ZyXEL NBG4604 you click Restart.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Does that restart the modem? If so that's no different to a reboot as it will drop sync with the exchange. The point of a disconnect/reconnect is that sync with the exchange is NOT dropped, it just drops the PPP session.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)