cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what is fibre optic???

kdoug007
Grafter

what is fibre optic???

ok ,,  was  with BT  NOW  PN ( CHANGED LAST  WEEK)
have a  usage  of  10gb per month,,,  the  service  is  really  fast ,,
in  fact  cant  complain...
  just  wondering    why i would  need  fibre  optic...  or  do i have  it  now. ( £6.49pm )
7 REPLIES 7
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21
kdoug007
Grafter

Re: what is fibre optic???

many thanks....  having  read it ,,  would i  suggest  its  really  for    high users  only  , i mean 40gbs  is  very  high?
i  didnt  need a  engineer  when  my basic  router  arrived last  week  ( 10gbs)
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Well you need to be careful if you start streaming video. Some HD stuff you could easily use nearly 2Gb per hour and possibly upto 3Gb.
Best quality SD could be upto 1Gb per hour.
FoolishlyWise
Grafter

Quote from: kdoug007
i  didnt  need a  engineer  when  my basic  router  arrived last  week  ( 10gbs)

For fibre, an engineer is needed to install a special faceplate for the fibre service and connect you onto the fibre DSLAM.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

It's debatable whether anyone who can get a decent broadband speed in the first place needs fibre optic speeds.  Even the BT ad. can't find a better justification for fibre than the ability to download Duran Duran albums very quickly.  A household with multiple teenagers/young adults (as per the ads) might justify fibre if they all want to stream videos simultaneously.  But in that scenario a huge amount of data could be downloaded, easily 10 GB every few days, so you don't want to be with a company like Plusnet that imposes strict limits.  By the way, kdoug007, you do understand the distinction between speed and capacity, don't you?  Plusnet Value Broadband imposes a monthly capacity limit of 10 GigaBytes.  If your download speed is 10 Megabits per second you would use your full monthly capacity after 8000 seconds (i.e. 2 hours 13 minutes)  of downloading at full speed.
Of course, there are people with very slow broadband who would derive a lot of benefit from fibre speeds but don't necessarily want to consume huge amounts of capacity.  But by and large BT don't want to supply such consumers so they don't get the option of fibre.      
kdoug007
Grafter

interesting post,, thnks...
i  was  fine  with bt  usuage  and  also pn.. so far in 2  weeks have  used  2gb.30
kmilburn
Grafter

Quote from: ReedRichards
It's debatable whether anyone who can get a decent broadband speed in the first place needs fibre optic speeds.

I'm sure similar things were said when ADSL first came out.  Going from the fastest dialup speeds  of 56kbps to 1mbps was a massive jump, which at the time seemed complete overkill.
However, as has been shown multiple times in the computer industry,  usage expands to consume the available resources.
Personally,  I don't do a lot of downloading,  but when I do,  I want it as soon as possible.  e.g. Getting OpenSUSE in 10 minutes rather than 2.5 hours.