cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

want to change hardware...

Loombucket
Grafter

Re: want to change hardware...

I think I can clarify things a bit here....
I spend a lot of time talking with techs based in the U.S. and from them have gleaned the following:-
1>  Whilst combined ADSL modem/routers are so commonplace in the UK they simply tend to be known as routers, in the US it is unusual.  Over there it is much more commonplace for the ISP to supply an ADSL modem and for the customer to provide their own router if they need one.  I've checked the spec. of the Apple device and it is a US-style router with no built-in ADSL modem.
2>  The customer's tone and choice of language, whilst being regarded as rude and offensive over here, is in fact commonplace in America where customers seem to think it is the best way to get some action out of tech. support or customer service channels.
By the way, US tech support staff don't think much of that attitude either.
Roll_eyes
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I was wondering if his new router was modemless. If that is the case surely he can switch off the DHCP in the PN router and plug his new router in to the PN router - job done!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Mand
Grafter

Yep, that was my first thought too.
I'll discuss with the OP and I'm sure we can solve this. Smiley
nadger
Rising Star

We live and learn
My days of adsl modems were with usb - I'm assuming this needs ethernet connection so suggestion to use existing router as modem looks good.
fceluk
Grafter

Linksys refer to a modem/router as a gateway such as the WAG54G gateway, which seems a good idea to me.
A router and a modem each have their own names so why not a  gateway?
nadger
Rising Star

When I used the old green usb frog I used an old pc as gateway to save messing about when switching between linux and windoze.
Nice term but would probably cause more confusion in this thread.
fceluk
Grafter

You mean confused with PN Gateways etc......
Point taken.
It would depend on the context in which it was used.
But never mind, it was just a suggestion Smiley
mikeb
Rising Star

Wow, what an entertaining thread for the morning Grin Whilst I must admit that on those very rare occasions I feel the need to raise an issue with support, it's usually something rather obscure and/or awkward and I quite often and up feeling that no one understands or really cares and I'm banging my head against the virtual wall ... but even I don't understand exactly what this is all about !  So all I can say is: PN, you have my sympathy on this one  Wink
Sorry Mr.Lanemik but I think there's a huge amount of confusion here as a result of differing 'understanding' of the various terms you are using.  As Mr.Winner would say: "calm down dear" (the relatively humorous nature of which will will probably sail past several miles over your head mind you) but for goodness sake talk to someone at PN in a calm and rational way rather than sounding off in here Smiley

B T Plusnet, a bit kinda like P T Barnum ...

... but quite often appears to feature more clowns Tongue
Bob_Milton
Grafter

Perhaps this comment won't help.
I have read this item with interest, and it confirms to me my firmly held opinion, that it does not always help a customer when other customers offer advice.
In this case it seems that one customer is/was considering leaving PlusNet and came to that conclusion because he was not getting the advice that he sought. Or at least the advice he was getting was mainly from other customers.
From PlusNet's point of view it may be better if their views could be better given by telephone or as in this case by other 'private' communication.
I am a firm believer in what I think is a fact, that a short telephone call conveys more meaning and understanding than a prolonged interchange of written views.
With Mandy's intervention perhaps PlusNet will not lose a customer.
fceluk
Grafter

Quote from: Bob
I am a firm believer in what I think is a fact, that a short telephone call conveys more meaning and understanding than a prolonged interchange of written views.

I strongly agree with this sentiment.
I much prefer face to face discussion. Failing this, a telephone call. Text messaging of any kind is, for me well down the list as, even with emoticons, a person cannot fully communicate their feelings, needs and problems. Hence the length of this thread.
Hopefully with Mand's telecon this issue is well on it's way to being resolved.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Bob
Perhaps this comment won't help.
I have read this item with interest, and it confirms to me my firmly held opinion, that it does not always help a customer when other customers offer advice.
In this case it seems that one customer is/was considering leaving PlusNet and came to that conclusion because he was not getting the advice that he sought. Or at least the advice he was getting was mainly from other customers.
From PlusNet's point of view it may be better if their views could be better given by telephone or as in this case by other 'private' communication.

In this board's heading it clearly states "The place for support both from the community and the support team. Note this is not an official support channel. If the OP wanted only to communicate only with PN this was not the place to come. Phones numbers, email and web addresses for PN are not hard to find.
Going to BT is just likely to add a Home Hub to the collection!
Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

Quote from: jelv
I was wondering if his new router was modemless. If that is the case surely he can switch off the DHCP in the PN router and plug his new router in to the PN router - job done!

Yes, the Airport base station needs to be connected to an ADSL modem/router.  When I had a non-wireless ADSL modem I used an Airport Express (which uses the same set up utilities and controls) plugged into it via ethernet and that worked fine. Still use it wired up to my Netgear wireless router for the one computer that can't use WPA encryption (only WEP). I have it set up in 'bridge' mode rather than DHCP, leaving all that to the Netgear.
Plusnet user since November 2003
Full Fibre since September 2023
Mac OS14 and Firefox user with latest versions of both
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: alanf
In this board's heading it clearly states "The place for support both from the community and the support team. Note this is not an official support channel. If the OP wanted only to communicate only with PN this was not the place to come. Phones numbers, email and web addresses for PN are not hard to find.
Going to BT is just likely to add a Home Hub to the collection!

I think that people were bending over backwards to try and help the OP who, quite frankly, didn't help himself.
Had he, at the outset, explained that he was over from US and possibly used to different terms/hardware the thread may have gone differently.
As you say, this is a community forum and telling a regular to "buzz off" doesn't really endear poster to other people.
Hopefully Mand will have restored some sanity to the overall situation.
fceluk
Grafter

I strongly suspect if we could read the tickets CSC get we would see a great deal worse Shocked