cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vmbu problem

elkieluca
Grafter

vmbu problem

I have just checked my useage and it states that I have used almost 1 GB of my 10 GB allowance.  How can this be in just two days, I don't download peer to peer and I haven't watched any large videos since it reset on the 12th. The only thing that is different is I have had my plan changed to  Market 3 so pay less now. I never use such a lot normally just on emails and surfing the net. Can someone please check this.
2 REPLIES 2
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: vmbu problem

The VMBU also gives you a breakdown of usage... what area has used the most? This may give you a clue as to where the problem might be. Have you been watching iplayer? a HD 1 hour video could take as much as 600MB
Do you use wireless? if so, are you sure it's secure - you could try changing the encryption password and see if the usage reduces.
caulbox
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: vmbu problem

Not sure if you're aware, but (e.g.) on YouTube, you don't need to actually 'sit through and watch' an entire (sometimes large) video for your usage to be increasing often dramatically. YouTube caches video files whilst you browse, and 1GB can be accounted for remarkably quickly. For example, with my 7.15 Mb profile, if I was to spend maybe 10 minutes watching just the start of a 2 hr video, then I'd probably already have downloaded the entire (say 400 MB) video footage in my internet cache whilst I was only checking out whether the video might interest me!

I use IE8, and choose to make available (the maximum) 1,024 MB for Temporary internet Files. Depending upon your own choice of browser and cache allocation, I suppose you may be guarded against such similar large automatic downloads. But any regular browsing of (even small movie files on) YouTube will soon leave it's mark in VMBU.