cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

very slow upload speeds

MrZeno
Grafter

Re: very slow upload speeds

I've just tried a laptop wireless connection, this one hasn't been updated and it too is having problems uploading.  This indicates to me that it's probably not my pc that causing the problem.
James
Grafter

Nope.  I'd be inclinded to agree.
Can you try doing a factory reset of your router?
MrZeno
Grafter

Late last night I did that and even updated the firmware to the latest version and it's a not really any better.  Todays uploads results being 42kbps, 93kbps and 41kbps  Undecided  If I had another router I'd try that one to see if it was specifically this router.  Confusing isn't it.
Thanks for your help so far.
Jason
James
Grafter

You might find a new router turning up on your doorstep on Tuesday or Wednesday Smiley
We've ruled out everything else, so this seems like a logical next step.
MrZeno
Grafter

Thank you very much.
Dewigog

I had this fault last year. Did you have problems explaining that a slow upload speed cripples your surfing even though the download speed is OK?
I was able to eliminate my laptop, modem and all kit by taking it all to a friend who was also a Plusnet subscriber and everything worked perfectly.
You can log on to your own account at the home of any Plusnet subscriber.
Thus it was a fault at my exchange which is less than 1 kilometre away .
When faced with a BT fault Plusnet are completely ineffectual. They just keep repeating to try new modems, filters and winge on about what BT will charge you if the fault is not yours. Luckily for me another friend who uses a BT business service had the same fault and was able to get direct connection with BT Wholesale and twist their ears . Hooray, soon  the fault was cleared for both of us. I assume that we must have been connected to the same "card" at the exchange. The upshot is that your problem is unlikely to be resolved until somebody grabs BT by the throat. Unfortunately Plusnet are unlikely to do this which is a shame because they are excellent with stuff they have direct control over. 
Keep on nagging Plusnet
MrZeno
Grafter

We've had BT out before as there was so much noise on the line you couldn't talk to people so they replaced th copper wire and box, I did see a nice increase in the speed after that.
This is just too odd though, running the test a few minutes ago the upload speed started off quite high but over the coure of the test it dropped like a hammer.
My exchange is about 2 miles away so even at the quietest time I barely get over 500kbps, but I know what you mean about the upload speed affecting general internet use as the computer is constantly sending info back about page requests etc.
See what happens and fingers crossed.
Jason
MrZeno
Grafter

The replacement router arrived this morning and everything seems to be running ok, I'mgoing to keep an eye on it for a few days then retry my other router.
The idea is that if the problem returns then I know the exact problem, if it doesn't return then I know it's elsewhere and could cause problems in the future.
Thanks for your help.
Jason
James
Grafter

Great, thanks.
It does sound rather like your old router picking up a fault.