cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

usage monitoring

76nil
Grafter

usage monitoring

I have had broadband with 3 other providers over several years.  I have always had the same limited download and never got near to needing more until I changed to Plusnet.  My normal usage is to listen to radio programmes I have missed.  I cant stream television as my speed is too slow but I have, in the past, downloaded tv programmes.  My usage has not changed in any way but I now have to use my poor digital radio service for BBC radio 4 and daren't think of downloading tv as I am very close to my limit even though this year I have been on holiday for part of each month when nothing is used on my computer.  I have asked Plusnet about this but just get they have checked my usage and it is correct.  I can only assume that the other providers don't measure usage in the same way.  I just wondered if anyone else has noticed a similar problem?
Cant see me staying with this company when my contract finishes.
46 REPLIES 46
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: usage monitoring

One possibility: Plusnet count upload as well whereas many other ISPs don't.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
76nil
Grafter

Sorry, not very computer literate - what is the difference between up load and down load?  Not sure if I do up load!!!!!!!!  Sounds painful!!!!!!!!!
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Download is what you receive from the internet, upload is what you send to the internet.
Do you use any file sharing software? Do you use any internet file storage?
76nil
Grafter

Thanks, but as far as I'm aware I don't to either of these things.  I Google for information, listen to the radio, send and read e mails, I have a Twitter account and I  shop on line.  No one else uses my computer or can access my wiFi as it doesn't work here - my walls are 3' thick.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Thats sounds like you should be OK. Assuming you are running Windows I suggest you download and run NetWorX which is a free tool to monitor your usage (the download is at the bottom left below the sponsored links). That would allow you to compare your usage with the figures PN are giving.
baldrick69
Dabbler

Yep, certain have.  I never got close to my 6Gb limit using the postoffice service.  Now I'm well over that.  I can achieve 24Mb download in a day with no computers on - just my router.  God knows what they use to keep the connection alive (whatever it is, it doesn't work BTW - connection still drops regularly)  even a constant ping should amount to a few kb.
76nil
Grafter

Thanks for that advice.  Have now got Networx on my computer.  Seems I'm not the only one who has this problem with Plusnet.  Would never have signed up with them had I realised they have different standards from other broadband providers.  I do not want any extra charges on my account so basically I'm hardily using the internet.  Unfortunately living in a rural area I pay more but get very poor speeds.  Didn't mind too much when I could listen to the radio via iplayer but now can't even do that.  Digital reception very hit and miss; half the time even radio 4 isn't available.  Roll on end of contract so I can go back to listening again.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

For me the usage figures in View My Broadband Usage agree with those shown by Networx (in fact VMBU is a little smaller). The figures also tie up with those I expect from downloading files of known size.
Trying radio 4 on iPlayer Radio shows download usage around 150kbps with upload around 10kbps - total 160kbps. That is for HI-res quality; for LO-res the equivalent values are 60kbps download, 4kbps upload, total 64kbps.
For HI-res I make that 160 x 60 x 60 / 8 =  72MB per hour. For LO-res 64 x 60 x 60 / 8 = 28.8MB per hour.
Assuming 12 hours use per day that would be 864MB per day HI-res or 345.6MB per day LO-res
For 31 days that is nearly 27GB per month HI-res or nearly 11GB per month LO-res.
One can add (say) 5GB per month for other usage. Obviously I've made assumptions about daily and days per month usage but do those figures tie up with what you are seeing?
David
76nil
Grafter

Sorry but I'm don't know.  All I do know is that I am using the internet a lot less; by several hours a day, now that I'm with Plusnet.  I do not see why I should pay so much more for the same service I got from other providers. I don't understand all the technical stuff, just that I know this isn't as good a service as others give, for the same money and apparently the same amount of download size.  I know the 'up to speed' is irrelevant for most people and there have been many stories in the press about giving the user more realistic speeds but I haven't seen any where that 10GBs means totally different anounts with different suppliers.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Try installing NetWorx and see what that shows as the usage http://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: 76nil
Have now got Networx on my computer.

Roll_eyes
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Embarrassed Embarrassed
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@76nil There's a fair bit of streaming showing on your account - I realise your main use is radio but is there no video streaming there either?
This may sound a bit odd, but I'm starting to suspect adverts are causing a fair bit of extra usage. A lot of websites are showing flash video which will take up a fair bit (where previously there might have been a jpeg or possibly a gif) - perhaps you could try modifying your hosts file as per http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm ? That will block most of these adverts from loading and with any luck save you several megabytes per web page.
Just a thought.
76nil
Grafter

Never see adds on sites - BBC does have them. None showing on Twitter. Looked at the site you recommended; didn't have a clue what it all meant.  Not at all computer literate. I'm afraid mos of the language goes over my head.  Have only been using Plusnet since October 2012 - would things have changed so much in 2 months?   Shopping sites I use - Tesco, Amazon, Boots, Landsend, Donald Russell is about it.

Don't download videos - broadband far too slow.  Don't watch tv through computer either. Don't play games or gamble.  I'm a fairly limited use oap.