cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

usage allowance used up when not on internet

k8tiebjimb

usage allowance used up when not on internet

hi,can anyone please help,my allowance seems to be getting used up even when i am not  connected to internet,called plusnet ,very un helpfull,you must have used it attitude.When i was on phone to him for 1 hour and nothing connected it shot up 500mb.
7 REPLIES 7
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: usage allowance used up when not on internet

Switch off your router.  Switch it on in the morning and see if there was any overnight usage.
tjd
Grafter

If you're broadcasting your SSID and don't have a security key for your wireless, or if you have an easy to guess security key for your wireless your neighbours could be piggy-backing and using your internet connection.
Also peer to peer programs for downloading files / viruses can leech bandwidth, especially the former..
Windows Updates / Game updates / other programs downloading patches etc could also be causing this.
Hope this helps.
quelquod
Pro
Fixes: 1

500Mb is a very small amount these days. Even a smart phone doing autoupdates on wifi could use this in a relatively short time.
Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
maximod
Grafter

Could anyone be using your router login/password details on their router ?
briston
Aspiring Pro

I am getting confused here.  Reference is made to mb and Mb. I do hope that both mean Mb that is megabit. Should it be megabyte MB then there is trouble. However, megabit is usually used when quoteing speed of connection.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I suspect the OP meant MB as did the others. Although I haven't been doing much I've only just used 500MB all week!
Welcome to the Forum k8tiebjimb, you need to follow some of the suggestions & advice above. That sounds like a very poor experience you had when you phoned up, what day and time was that? That isn't the normal experience.
Post back how you are getting on.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I'm sorry about the experience you seem to have had with support surrounding this issue.
If you can let us know when that call took place I should be able to make sure that some feedback is passed on about that.
I can see a number of suggestions were made re this on ticket 61256456 so please let us know if youve been able to try those.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team