Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unsure speed results

AJJ
Grafter

unsure speed results

Wondering if anyone can shed any light on this:
might have one of the famous TG585 routers that resets itself every now and but that aside.  My line says Im connected at 2.9 but Im only getting about 1.5
stats from the rotuer:
Uptime: 1 day, 7:12:06
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 2,907
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.5 / 17.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 34.0 / 60.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 11.5 / 14.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 34 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 3 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 3 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 167 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 167 / 336
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 6,125 / 214
as you can see it rebooted the other day, does this maybe once a week/few days.
Is this the router that is limiting the speed? I had been getting 2-2.2mb but had some line issues and BT came and fitted me a new master socket. Now this is happening.
I know Im a fair distance from the exchange (4km I think) so don't expect wonderfully fast speeds but this is bordering on what I got when I was on plain old ADSL and not ADSL2 (21CN)
Any one got any ideas?
thanks in advance
29 REPLIES 29
MrT
Grafter

Re: unsure speed results

Given what it says here: http://community.plus.net/faster-plusnet-broadband-for-free-faq/ I'm surprised that you are on ADSL2+ at all.
Did you ask to be put on this or were you just tranferred from ADSL?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

It will be the IP profile limiting you - try the BT speedtest and what this says for current line speed https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Just because you are on 21CN doesn't necessarily mean you are on ADSL2
MrT
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim

So what does DSL Type G992.5 mean?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

But this does
DSL Type:  G.992.5 annex A

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

[Censored] - read post in detail before making silly comments  Embarrassed Embarrassed
More accurately - he shouldn't be
AJJ
Grafter

according to speedtester.bt.com I've got a 2.5mb profile and have had 2.2mb - but now only seem to be gettign 1.5mb
do you think it could be the DLM kicking in and backing the line speed down because the router keeps rebooting itself every few days?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

What does Current line speed say in the Member Centre at the link provided by Oldjim (here).
That value should update automatically (within 12 to 24 hours of a BT change) to match the BT Performance Tester value. Might currently be at 1750 or 2000kbps which would lead to download speeds around 1500kbps.
David
AJJ
Grafter

Hi,
Yesterday the speed was showing 1.75mb. This morning it's showing as 2.5mb and I'm downloading at 2.2mb.
Do we think it's because of the router reboots and the dlm slowing me down?
AJJ
Grafter

Just logged into the router and now showing the following:
Uptime: 0 days, 1:21:35
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 3,015
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.5 / 17.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 34.0 / 60.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 14.0 / 13.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 45 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 4 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 4 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 48 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 48 / 22
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 6,163 / 15

The router has dropped the connection again - but connection speed has gone up from this morning.
Does anyone else experience "regular" internet drops every other day or so? sometimes twice a day? Is this normal with plusnet or is it the router that is causing the problems?
Thanks
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Connection drops are *not* normal with Plusnet. However the router itself might not be in the best of health.
The sync speed you get with what seems to be a 12dB target noise margin looks to be remarkably high. If you put your attenuation (60dB) into Kitz's calculator here it gives 2560kbps on dslMax and 2656kbps on ADSL2+, and those are based on a target noise margin of 6dB. I suspect ADSL2+ might be leading to connection stability problems. Was the attenuation much lower when you were on dslMax?
If you put your phone number and postcode into Kitz's adsl checker does that say you are 4km by road from the exchange (notional line length)?
With frequent disconnections it would be useful to monitor noise margin variation with time by installing RouterStats (the full version). Select the ST585 v6, v7 login option. For configuring and capturing graphs I suggest you follow the recommendations in this post.
David
AJJ
Grafter

I keep getting told I'm getting good speed for my length of line, buy according to that website I'm only 3.3km from the exchange.
I'm running the v8 software on the router - will the router stats still work?
As for what I got on dslmax I don't know, I just know it was slow!
MrT
Grafter

In the hope that my broadband experience helps you understand your own, I submit the following:
I am on dslMax and likely to remain so.
I am about 3.2Km by road from my exchange.
My line attenuation of 55dB would suggest a line length of about 4Km - this is perfectly possible.
With a SNR of 6dB I am achieving a sync rate of 3892. My line has been stable for the last 10 days.
ADSL uses the frequency band up to 1.1MHz. In my case, only frequencies up to about 0.6MHz are useable.
ADSL2+ uses the frequency band up to 2.2MHz. Given that I can only use the band up to 0.6MHz, ADSL2+ is of no use to me.
I suspect that you are in a very similar situation.  Smiley
spraxyt
Resting Legend

@AJJ Although your router has release 8.2.6.5 (I assume) software on it it is still a v7and RouterStats will be fine with it. In any case RouterStats works OK even on the v8 router. I think setting it up could provide useful insight into your connection's behaviour.
Did the router connect on ADSL2+ (G.992.5 annex A) through its own choice or has it been forced to connect using that protocol?
David
AJJ
Grafter

@spraxyt
I will give routerstats a try and let you know.
The router automaticallyconnected to ADSL2+, but I did ask to move to the 21CN because of the line speed issues I'd been having with DSLmax
@MrT - if you are syncing at 3.8 what IP profile are you getting? 3.0 or 3.5mb? If I could get that sort of speed it would be fantastic!
I seem to remember reading that once you conver to ADSL2+ going back is a major problem?
also - don't know if this helps but interleaving has been forced to "on" on my line (apparently it is set to auto on the exchange?)
Thanks for all your help with this one - some good information is being given out, just need to work out what to do next!