cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unlimited broadband - so its a subject done to death, but...

StuartUK35
Grafter

Re: unlimited broadband - so its a subject done to death, but...

cant see 300gb in a 8hr window ever being reached between the hours of midnight to 8am....
Regardless of the data i am receiving, but lets say for example i am pulling down 10 files that relate to S.E.T.I.  Crazy  Tongue
Protocol used is P2P (bit torrent).
My max download speed i can get is say 4.1mb on my FTTC line.......
The 10 files i want are say 10gb in size, some are broken into zip files and some are pure .dat files.
S.E.T.I is very very popular, so the amount of seeds plus contributors/receivers is amass......
I start the download, and soon after, i am pulling down data at the max rate.... but keeping my eye on it, i notice after 20 or so mins, the speed drops right down to around 60kb (so under 1mb in speed), and then it starts to climb back to line speed.... and so many mins later, it does it again.......  In the space of 1 hour, the speed went up and down 3 times, and after 90 mins had passed (just after 2am now), the speeds seemed to hang steady at around 1.1mb (thats about 13mb i guess).......
Thats not my line speed, as my line speed is 33mb, so i should get a 3.7 to 4.1mb download rate......
So how anyone could download 300gb in that 8hr window is beyond me, when the above seems to happen, yet i cant explain how Huh Somthing PN arn't telling us ?
James
Grafter

FTTP is 100Mbps.
100/8 = 12.5MBps * 60 = 750 MBpm * 60 = 45000MBph * 8 = 360000MBp(overnight) /1000 = 360GB.
Obviously assumes throughput of 1000Mbps which isn't technically possible, but you get the idea.
Force9Original
Grafter

Orange offer unlimited now their a pure BT reseller.
The old soft 100gb on BT's network has recently been removed to try and stop the churn.
There is throttling on p2p & newsgroup during peak (6pm- 11.30pm wd) & (5pm-11.30pm we) The other main ports  from streaming ect are not
http://help.orange.co.uk/orangeuk/com.instranet.InstraServlet?Command=com.instranet.CmdBlobGet&DocId...
However their CSC is light years behind the kind of service you get from PN  Wink
Cheers f9o
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Quote from: StuartUK35
So how anyone could download 300gb in that 8hr window is beyond me, when the above seems to happen, yet i cant explain how Huh Somthing PN arn't telling us ?
Pro package perhaps  Crazy