cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unable to unsubscribe?

wyattnorm
Dabbler

unable to unsubscribe?

I am at a loss as to how I can unsubscribe to an annoying emailer.
It is a genuine business that I just get annoyed with, the link in the email that offers the opportunity to unsubscribe does not work.
I have also tried today to track a parcel I am awaiting and again the links do not work...different business.
Is it something that I do not understand about the Plusnet email system or is it the senders poor service?
I am in all other ways very happy with Plusnet.
Norman.
17 REPLIES 17
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: unable to unsubscribe?

Hi wyattnorm,
What happens when you try to visit the links? Is there any chance you can post one of the ones that doesn't work so we can test it and see if it's the site, the link itself or something else?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Be careful!
If you click a link in an email it confirms that you received the email and that it is a valid email address.
Spammers are rather fond of this trick for validating email addresses - instead of unsubscribing you just get more spam!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Mav
Fixes: 515

Another problem is that many of these Unsubscribe links expect the original email address to be used that you subscribed with. If you have forgotten which one you used or no longer have it that could be a problem. I have circumvented these before by emailing the company's main address and requesting they unsubscribe me.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

pierre_pierre
Grafter

the e-mail will be addressed to the one you are subscribed to,  but can be a problem if you did it via a web page and like me you used a non standard prefix for identity purposes
wyattnorm
Dabbler

Can you simply explain how I can post what you need to see...if I appear a bit dim...well I am where computers are concerned.
Clicking on the link does absolutely nothing, as does clicking on 'If you cannot see this email click here'...it is just dead print on the screen.
I have written to the firm concerned asking to be removed, but no joy.  I know they are simply touting for business from someone who showed an interest in their products, but enough is enough.
Many thanks for the interest shown in my small problem.
Have to say that the response from the Plusnet community far exceeds the Orange service.
Kind regards.
Norman.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

If you have the email open on screen, you could try hitting the 'print screen' button - this should put a copy of what's on your screen on the windows clipboard.
You can then open Paint (start -> programs -> accessories -> paint) and then click 'edit -> paste' - your screen image should appear in the paint window.
Then save this file as a .jpg or .png to your desktop (or somewhere else that's easy to remember) and attach it to this thread - when you're posting click the 'additional options' at the bottom to browse for a file to attach, and select your screenshot.
We'll then have a much better idea of what's going on.
Hope that helps,
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: wyattnorm
I am at a loss as to how I can unsubscribe to an annoying emailer.
It is a genuine business that I just get annoyed with, the link in the email that offers the opportunity to unsubscribe does not work.

Are the messages always sent from the same email address? If so, then try adding the email address or domain to the Blocked Addresses list on the 'Spam' tab here.
I have also tried today to track a parcel I am awaiting and again the links do not work...different business.

Sounds like you have a problem opening hyperlinks. How are you reading your email? Using our Webmail service or using a standalone email program installed on your computer e.g. Outlook or Windows Mail?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

wyattnorm
Dabbler

Bob...I always use your webmail.
Matt...I will try and do as you suggest.
Many thanks.
Norman.
wyattnorm
Dabbler

I think I've done it?
jim:green picture removed at posters request mod:end
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi wyattnorm,
It looks like you're viewing the plain text version of the emails. You can view the HTML version if you like, you just need to set it in the options - once logged in, click options at the top, then display preferences, then put a tick in the box next to "Show HTML Version by Default:".
Be careful if you do this though - as jelv says above, some links can lead to more spam. Hover over each one without clicking and see what link is actually displayed - they can frequently be different. It should show you the actual link address in the bar at the very bottom of your browser window.
Hope that helps,
wyattnorm
Dabbler

Matt/Bob...Many thanks for your help, I think I understand a bit more now.
The HTLM has at least improved the look of the webmail page.
The offending emails were in my trash bin, I clicked on the message and all passages of text were replaced with blocks of warning messages saying they were removed for security reasons?
Would this be because I was trying to read it from the trash bin?
I think I will just bite the bullet and  ignore the emails or I might try and block them as suggested.
Again many thanks.
Norman.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

After I bought something from Comet I received emails from them a few times even after unsubscribing each time. They eventually stopped. Perhaps some companies only prune their mailing lists periodically rather than immediately though that does seem a stupid way of working.
wyattnorm
Dabbler

To all who offered help...changing to the correct display 'HTML' I have today successfully unsubscribed.
I am so impressed with the display now. I always thought the text style let down the email system, now I know why.
Still top marks for Plusnet.
Norman.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi wyattnorm,
Glad we could help, thanks. Please let us know if there's anything else we can do for you.