cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

traffic queue - Differentiated Services Field 82?

Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

traffic queue - Differentiated Services Field 82?

http://community.plus.net/library/faults/using-wireshark-for-data-capture/#queues ; what is an 82?
e.g. Differentiated Services Field: 0x82 (DSCP 0x20: Class Selector 4; ECN: 0x02)
I have been having problems with using http://gateway.playneverwinter.com/ today. I had assumed it was down to the packet loss I am getting after my connection was reset today and also on too low a SNR of 3 for my connection.
But I fired up wireshark just now and I was getting 82's during periods of the site being very slow, which then reverted to 80's once it cleared.  So is this a new traffic queue or a glitch somewhere?
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
3 REPLIES 3
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Re: traffic queue - Differentiated Services Field 82?

Hi Gus,
We don't use 82 anywhere, only the ones listed on the page you linked. If the site (or a router between the site and us) sets the DSCP value before it gets to us then we'll rewrite it. However, once it leaves our network it can get rewritten again, I've seen this with some routers if the traffic is going through an ALG in the router. SIP is a common one for doing this so it could be that the router is rewriting it for some reason. Is it just HTTP or another protocol?
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

and whoosh as that went over my head, I have got to admit I am a self taught techie and that is beyond me.  But this is the first time I has seen the 82 in any capture I have taken and it was a HTTP and TCP.
I kept the capture so will upload it to my web space and pm you a link
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

If you click the + by Differentiated Services Field wireshark is sort of explaining it. Part of the 0x82 value is used for the class selector and the other part of the the 0x82 value is used for ECN (Explicit Congestion Notification).