cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

traffic management for 76Mbps unlimited

alexwt

traffic management for 76Mbps unlimited

I've read the articles, many which are several years old. I don't care about traffic prioritisation if it's only prioritisation of different services within my line, e.g. my voip > my downloads, but I do care if my speeds can drop depending on what other plusnet subscribers do. My questions are, on the 76Mbps unlimited package:

- Is there any speed throttling? Some say no, others say yes for some services.

- Is VPN traffic throttled at all?

- In other words, if the dsl modem connects at X Mbps, will I always be able to max out X Mbps no matter what I do on the line, regardless of the prioritisation?

4 REPLIES 4
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: traffic management for 76Mbps unlimited

there isn't any throttling imposed by PN, however if your local exchange has congestion that will impact speeds.

VPN traffic isn't throttled - I used one and have tested.

again, depending on network saturation then you should always achieve your full speed.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
alexwt

Doesn't PN control part of the local exchange?

I've been with BT for about 1.5 years on the 76 Mbps service. My dsl modem (hub5) has always connected at 72mbps or more and I was absolutely always able to max out those 72mbps. My question is simple: should I expect that to change if I switch to PN?

(I'm aware PN is owned by BT)
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

in theory no.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

@alexwt wrote:
- Is there any speed throttling? Some say no, others say yes for some services.

No, our current products do not have rate limits applied.

- Is VPN traffic throttled at all?

No.

- In other words, if the dsl modem connects at X Mbps, will I always be able to max out X Mbps no matter what I do on the line, regardless of the prioritisation?

Yes. Quick example, if your line is 75Mb/s and you're downloading something and doing nothing else on your line this can come down at 75Mb/s. If you then start using VoIP or something else high priority at 5Mb/s, this should give VoIP priority and allow that at 5Mb/s but slightly slow your download to 70Mb/s.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.