cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

to reboot or switch off/on

worcswizzard
Grafter

Re: to reboot or switch off/on

Hi Anotherone- its a short tailed filter  designated DSL 35-MF.  While I've been typing this the noise variations have been between 10.6 and 11.4. It moves through this range with no discernible pattern. Jumps about, really.  I'll see if I can get some one to do the quiet line test  who has better ears than I. What I have just noticed is that from an up time of 5hrs plus there are 0 errors. Usually I average 20/30 per hour. I have no idea what error level is acceptable.
Many thanks for your attention
Rob
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Depends on which errors, the fact you are not using an extension lead will help.
See if you can get RouterStats running http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm ; also read the FAQ (I think Q4 applies)
Also have a read of this http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,76116.0.html which may help with setting up.
(Just in case, do you have a spare filter & access to another router?).
worcswizzard
Grafter

Hi Anotherone- thanks for the links-will read and digest
Rob
Anotherone
Champion

Shout if you need any help. Plenty of RouterStats experts about.
worcswizzard
Grafter

Hi Anotherone (Chris)- Just to update. I did not get very far with 'router stats', but my daughter did a 'QUIET LINE' test for me this morning, with a corded phone, plugged into the test socket, which she thought was fine. Strangely. though, when I booted the pc this morning my SNR was steady at 11.9 and 12. It was a fine, sunny morning, very still, whereas yesterday was very blustery. Standing, looking out of my front window, I realised my BT line passes through the outer branches of a tree, some of which are in very close proximity to the line. I am sure that yesterday they would have been regularly touching the line. Could that account for the swings in SNR?
After restarting the router the sync speed is  lower at 6976 but the SNR is very steady at 11.9.
I am back over the other side of the room now; wireless and back to my un-corded phone (I need the answer phone on).
My plan is to leave well alone over the next week and see if I can get the tree pruned.
Best wishes.
Rob
Anotherone
Champion

If you haven't already got a dodgy overhead line when a tree branch may cause intermittent connections, it may cause it to do that at a later stage. Good idea to get it pruned, don't want a bill from BT for fixing the cable if the tree is hitting it.
That slight drop in sync speed isn't anything to write home about, it will still give you a 6M profile and things may be more stable, but I would suggest you leave the modem/router on 24/7 now. Your current Target SNRM seems to be 12dB, and if your line is stable this may come down and so you may achieve higher sync speeds in the future.
worcswizzard
Grafter

Cheers Chris- that is my plan. Not my tree thought, so some negotiation with local council may be necessary Cry
Cheers, Rob
worcswizzard
Grafter

Hi Anotherone (if you are about)- this is an update.(rather along one, I'm afraid)
I gave up on routerstats ( could't get it to make any sense) but did get DMT working.
Thursday AM I was at home and ran DMT from 10ish after a 4am power up. Everything was nice and stable with a 11.6 snr margin, little variation, and a 7104 sync.  (screen shot 1 below)
At around 11  I was on the net and lost sync. Powered off and resynced. OK for a while, then lost sync again. I had that morning been checking how old my router and filters were (18mths) so I had decided to buy a new filter. As I had lost sync I powered down the router, switched off the lap top and went to buy a new filter. Came back, plugged it in,with a fixed telephone line, and was then syncing at 7680 with 8.3 snr margin that was moving around somewhat. (screen shot 2 below).
Brilliant. New filter was obviously needed. A while later I decided to plug my other phone back in and  unplugged the router my mistake. Restarted the router and came back at 9.1 with very little variation (screen shot 3). This continued through the after noon/evening
Yesterday, though, there were loads of errors (stupidly no shots) after leaving the router on all night. This continued all day.  Turned off router last night and this morning back on, Sync of  7840 and snrm 9.1 which dropped to 8.6.
Decided to try old filter again. Sync of 7744(screen shot 7 & Cool and steady 9 snrm.
So, my question is, what happened. Was it the filter, or when I lost sync was it the exchange, or something completely different.
Best wishes, Rob
Anotherone
Champion

Hi Rob,
Ha, reading through your text I thought, this might be a bit tricky to deduce, but once I started looking at the graphs, different kettle of fish. DMT is so much better for bits/tone stuff.
If you hadn't changed filters already, I'd have promptly said try another, but as you have, considerations are different. There are two noticeable things here.
The Upstream bits/tone isn't right. I can't remember if you said you were using a cordless phone. If so, unplug the phone, switch it and the base station off, and do another DMT grab.
The fact that the performance didn't change much when you plugged the old filter back in suggests it's probably OK, the new one may be marginally better.
The fact that the noise plots are virtually flat, except the one where you first plugged the new filter in, but ok later with that filter, suggests it certainly an intermittent problem, but is it connection or interference?
Was there possibly any appliances switched on at that time, which aren't always on?
If you are not using a cordless phone, then you need to borrow/try another router ideally one that supports DMT, because we need to prove that the Upstream bits/tone is not a router problem before trying to report a fault, if it's not something of yours causing this. Reporting a fault under current circumstances will get no where, you'll be told it's all within expected performance and possibly get your Target SNRM raised to try and eliminate any disconnects, this will result in slower speed!.
worcswizzard
Grafter

Hi Chris. This shot is with a corded phone and wireless laptop and the old filter and plugged into  test socket  Nothing running in the flat, but my neighbours?????.
I have no idea about bits/tone. This is a realm I have not yet entered Embarrassed No idea what it should look like. I think I can borrow a router from my daughter. Will try that over the week end with different combinations. ie ethernet, filters etc.
Out for the rest of the day, but will leave router and laptop on and see what happens.
Regards, Rob

Anotherone
Champion

OK, brain switched on now, forget what I said about the upstream, if I'd looked at the scale more carefully I'd have spotted that the x-axis doesn't start from Tone 0 for some reason, so we are missing the first half of the US plot.
DMT obviously plots the first 31 tones in green which is why the first part of the DS tones is in green, and that what confused me. Oh well can't be right all the time!
The plotting problem may be due to something in the DMT ini file, we might look at that later.
We'll see what happened to the noise when you get back.
worcswizzard
Grafter

Hi Anotherone.
I'm afraid everything went a bit pear shaped over the weekend (life stuff) so I was not able to get near replying until last night/ early morning,but everything had crashed. Gather there was a but of a problem with the network.
Anyways, things are a generally stable but ,  I see my bt profile has gone up another 500kbps from 6 to 6.5, so I'll have to ask james to give it a nudge. (Shall I open another thread, or will he pick it up from here do you think,)  and then start monitoring again.
Cheers, Rob
Anotherone
Champion

If the PN one is not up in the morning, post back, and hopefully it'll get picked up here.
worcswizzard
Grafter

PN profile now up to 6500.  Wink That was quick. Shocked
Rob. Back to monitoring. Will be interested to see waht happens next.
Rob
Anotherone
Champion

PN profiles usually follow BT ones within 12 hours.