cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

to reboot or switch off/on

worcswizzard
Grafter

to reboot or switch off/on

Hi all, as part of my early morning thirst for knowledge can anyone tell me what is the difference between re-booting my router or just switching it off and back on when resyncing
Many thanks in advance to all you gurus out there,
Rob
36 REPLIES 36
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: to reboot or switch off/on

It depends on circumstances. Why do you specifically want to re-boot/resync your router every morning?
worcswizzard
Grafter

Hi Anotherone. The morning thing is misleading- that just happens to be my most inquisitive time of day. On another thread, which succeeded in  raising my profile from 5000 to 6000,  jelv suggested that I may be able to get an even higher profile by resyncing at a point when my SNR margin was at its highest .  As I have a free weekend to play a little, I intend moving myself across the room and plugging into the master socket, connecting by ethernet etc. I was just wondering what  the difference was between rebooting and switching off/on.
Cheers, Rob
scootie
Grafter

what model router have you got?
scootie
Grafter

an example of what jelv said is this.
my snr target is 9db which this morning it raised back upto after night levels but has had a major blip.
if i resync'ed now i would 99% sure i would sync at lot lower rate.
i wouldnt even try to resync untill its back to 9db or just slightly higher than 9db would be better.
as for rebooting by routers web intreface or just powering down.
if powering down leave at least 30secs before powering back up again. if you changing wiring setup then make sure you power down and leave about the same time before disconnecting cables.
if your router supports routerstats then it gd idea to have play with it http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm
but without monitoring snr stats basic or deatiled then best time is midday for resyncing
worcswizzard
Grafter

Hi AD. It's a D-Link 2640b
Rob
scootie
Grafter

added some more info above. delay in posting was because i got signed out when making post.
asbo makes not to allways tick the box on sign in
Anotherone
Champion

It doesn't really matter which modem/router except for what asbo has suggested, it is a good technique but you may need to watch it if your Target SNRM is 6dB because if your noise levels drop too low at night you may lose sync, end up syncing at a lower rate, and even get your Target SNRM raised.
The technique is one you should use when noise margins are relatively stable usually during the day. If you can't run RouterStats to monitor you SNRM, just look at you stats page periodically to see when yours may be best, there can be local variations.
Switching on/off instead of re-booting, well if you tend to lose sync at any other times, a re-boot could be seen by the DLM as another sync loss, and if you're unlucky with a few too many errors as well, it might raise your Target SNRM. Switching off and waiting a while should not be seen as a sync loss as the DLM should be able to detect the powerdown and the fact the line is still connected. There is no absolute certainty to this, but in practice it seems to work. Also a powerdown will reset all your modem/router stats to zero.
As long as you don't do it too often it shouldn't be a problem.
Ask away if you've got any queries or anything I didn't explain clearly.
worcswizzard
Grafter

Ok, thanks both and yes, I am understanding (I think).  I have been watching my margin for about an hour (whilst washing dishes etc) and it seems to be moving quite a lot. At this moment its 10.3 but has been up to 11.4. When I started out on this last month I was in the low
15s, so it is dropping. I think the lowest it has been is 10.1 the other day . I shall move every thing at mid-dayish and see what happens.
thanks again,
Rob
scootie
Grafter

there are noise margin targets. 6,9,12,15db mines 9db that why i said i wouldnt sync till its at 9 or above.
iam off for abit now but sure anotherone will explain things for you
Anotherone
Champion

Hi again worcswizzard,
Sounds like the DLM may have adjusted your target SNRM down if you've had a period of stability. When did you last re-sync?
Bearing in mind what you are thinking of doing etc. I'd power down wait a while several minutes or longer (may be 30 if you are not in a rush) before disconnecting the line. But read on first, there may be other things to do.
Is it an NTE5 Master Linebox with the removeable lower front plate?
I've just had a look at your linestats from your other post, you shouild be syncing a lot nearer maximum, so your internal wiring may be limiting you.
Can you describe how many extension sockets, the cable run (in outline) and what devices (phones, faxes, sky etc) you've got plugged in and what type of filters you are using?
worcswizzard
Grafter

Hi again anotherone. My feeling as well was that I should be able to get more. I've just left it 20 mins or so. Removed face plate (no bell wires or any thing) and plugged into test socket but plugged phone back in.(didn't mean to. meant to change it to a fixed line one. Its a walk about one ). I have about 3 metres of extension from the master to the router with  a dlink filter,  then wireless to the laptop. No sky or tv of any nature. No other extensions
I turned the router on at 4ish this morning (insomniac) and it was syncing at 7040. I have been as high as 7296 over the past week or so( that was a 7.30 am switch on last Saturday). I usually turn it off, as said before, between 10.30 pm and early morning so this week end and onwards in tend leaving it on 24/7.
The stats now, in the test socket with phone plugged in are as follows;
11:54 09/05/2009
Mode:  G.DMT
Type: Interleave
Line Coding: Trellis On

Downstream Upstream
Rate (Kbps): 7040  448

SNR Margin (dB): 11.5  24.0
Attenuation (dB): 26.0  12.5
Output Power (dBm): 12.3  19.8

Super Frames: 2949  2947
Super Frame Errors: 0  0
RS Words: 200562  25049
RS Correctable Errors: 0  0
RS Uncorrectable Errors: 0  N/A

HEC Errors: 0  0
OCD Errors: 0  0
LCD Errors: 0  0
Total Cells: 832962  0
Data Cells: 1081  0
Bit Errors: 0  0

Total ES: 0  0
Total SES: 0  0
Total UAS: 13  0
Seems to me about the same Huh
My throughtput speeds are pretty constant at 5.4 during the day, but can drop of  to 3.5ish in the evening. There is though, according to plusnet, a VP problem at my exchange (Malvern) which may account for that.
I have, as I've said before, no complaints about throughput, just interested \as to how it all ahngs together.
Many thanks,
Rob

Anotherone
Champion

Hi Rob,
just re-read your earier thread, no doubt switching off 4 or 5 times a day for several days will probably have caused the DLM to push up the Target SNRM, but even so I still fancy it should be better. Just to be clear when you were the otherside of the room were you plugged into an extension socket or an extension lead from the master?
worcswizzard
Grafter

Hi again Anotherone -  'extension lead'.  I'm now using Ethernet, not wireless, so other than removing the phone and using a fixed one, that's about as good as it gets, i think
Rob

Just to add that  I've not done a quite line test or anything. I suffer from tinnitus quite badly and every thing is noisy to me.
Rob
Anotherone
Champion

Hi Rob, is there anyone that could do a quiet line test for you? How long is your current router-filter lead, is it the 3m one and do you have a short one? What type of d-link filter is it, describe if it has no markings?
What sort of noise variations are you seeing now?