cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

thomson TG585 v7 Router

Anonymous
Not applicable

thomson TG585 v7 Router

Does anyone know how to access the ROOT or SUPERUSER account to login to this router?
The normal admin account is pretty restricted and won't ley me add new users etc.
Am new to networking and am trying to become more knowledgable regarding routers/networking etc.
Also do we need to upgrade the frimware on these routers os is this done automatically as I have oonly just started to log in and look around the router interface.
Cheers in advance..
8 REPLIES 8
nadger
Rising Star

Re: thomson TG585 v7 Router

You should be able to add new users under Toolbox/User Management.
admin + serial number should give you all the access you need
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

From memory, as I haven't used a Thompson router for several year, there isn't a real super user account as they emasculated all the associated commands.
Even the commands available via Telnet were chopped back a lot.
I was aware of this as I used to use the Telnet interface a lot on my old router for tweaking things.
As an example with the ST585v6 the original firmware it was possible to tweak the noise margin but then a new firmware was introduced which completely removed that ability to the disgust of many users.
Regarding your original question I assume you are referring to wireless connections as with wired the user is automatically connected.
If it is wireless look at Access Control in the manual
Anonymous
Not applicable

hello,
Many thanks for your prompt replies.
Unfortunately, I have forgotten my password to login to the router..I have tried Administrator and 'blank' password but no joy..is there any way to get in to it..apologies for being a newbie..but am just getting started with networking...thanks...
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I'm not familiar with this particular router but any router I can think of can be reset to its factory settings.  This will reset the password to its default value.  Your Plusnet user name and password will also be lost and will need to be re-entered.  Usually the reset button is inside the router and is pressed by inserting a small object through a pinhole.   
Apprentice
Grafter

Quote from: squoggy
hello,
Many thanks for your prompt replies.
Unfortunately, I have forgotten my password to login to the router..I have tried Administrator and 'blank' password but no joy..is there any way to get in to it..apologies for being a newbie..but am just getting started with networking...thanks...

If you didn't change anything from the default then it's as follows .......
username > Administrator (uppercase A)
password > serial number of router

If you did change them well you will have to do a factory reset then use the above suggestions.
Apprentice
Grafter

Quote from: squoggy
Does anyone know how to access the ROOT or SUPERUSER account to login to this router?
The normal admin account is pretty restricted and won't ley me add new users etc.
Am new to networking and am trying to become more knowledgable regarding routers/networking etc.
Also do we need to upgrade the frimware on these routers os is this done automatically as I have oonly just started to log in and look around the router interface.
Cheers in advance..

I know the O2 supplied TG585v7s have a Superuser login but that has to do with that ISP's firmware loaded on the router, I don't think Plusnet firmware has that account option ......... but I could be wrong as I use a Netgear DG834GT  Tongue
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

The same question was asked a year ago
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?action=printpage;topic=80277.0
but it seems without luck
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

There should only be a single user account on the Thomson routers we send out, depending on your firmware version the username will either be 'admin' or 'Administrator' and the password will either be blank or will be the serial number of the router, usually starting CP.
If all else fails then as previously advised you can factory reset the router. You should also be able to add new users with this login via Toolbox > User Management.