cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tg582n wi fi performance

tonypart

tg582n wi fi performance

Hi everyone
I have just joined Plusnet and so fer the experience has been good.
My upstream speed was capped and my phone CLI was being broadcast as this appears to be the default, even though with my previous suppliers the upload was uncapped and CLI withheld. Support quickly dealt with these issues and all is OK. Big thumbs up for Support.
However I felt I had to comment about the TG582n Router. As an ethernet modem / router it performs well, with better sync speeds than my old Belkin, but the wireless performance is next to useless.
Originally I coud not get it to say more than 130Mbps I found a CLI command to override the default and now it says 300Mbps but even with my laptop touching the modem I can't get better than 75Mbps. At the kitchen table,15 metres and 2 walls, the signal drops out completely. The old Belkin 54g gave me between 2 - 11Mbps at the same point.
Has anyone got any suggestions short of a new router or reverting to the old one?
TonyP
4 REPLIES 4
kelvin
Grafter

Re: tg582n wi fi performance

This is a commonly raised problem. I started a thread about this very issue when I went live 11 days ago and a number of people directed me to the already existing threads on this subject in this forum.
The common replacement appears to be the ASUS N66U (available for ~£110) and is so popular there is a thread, started around 8 or 9 days ago, on this specific modem.
I have found however that wireless performance does rather mysteriously appear. I had no wireless, or speeds below 1Mbps for the first 4 or 5 days but I have been able to connect wirelessly since last Thursday even though nothing has been changed in settings or location of router/laptop.
I do have an ASUS but have yet to install and have considered returning (but probably won't).
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

If you are on adsl then put the old one back in. If on fibre then there are plenty of suggestion here.
I used a BT HH2 on adsl and use a Netgear N300 on fibre.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

There are loads of additional undocumented CLI commands for changing wireless settings: http://npr.me.uk/telnet.html#tweaks
Using 40MHz bandwidth (for 300Mbps) would make your signal more susceptible to interference. If there's interference on one channel, and you're taking up more channels, you're more likely to cover the one with the interference.
tonypart

Thanks for the suggestions
I am om adsl and have already tried the tweaks from http://npr.me.uk/telnet.html#tweaks
I'll probably revert to the Belkin for now and make out my birthday wish list !!!
TonyP