cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

television viewing by ethernet or wireless

barend

television viewing by ethernet or wireless

Just recently become a customer of Plusnet and connected the Technicolor router to my Samsung Smart TV by ethernet cable and was able to watch streaming TV programmes.  Then tried connection via wireless, successfully made connection, but TV BBC iplayer and other apps play for a bit then shudder and become unwatchable.    The current line speed said by Plusnet is 7.2 Mb.  What do I have to do, to be able to stream TV programmes to TV using the router by wireless connection? 
9 REPLIES 9
Stanman24
Grafter

Re: television viewing by ethernet or wireless

tg582n wireless router maxes out at 72MB
pretty piss poor router for most things
go into the wireless settings and change the channel to 6 / 8 rather than auto and have a play about
video streaming via wireless is sketchy unless heavily compressed, I have issues with homeplugs watching HD channels and throughput is 8MB/s
barend

Thank you Stanman24 for your reply, I will try what you suggested.  I did type 7.2 Mb not 72 Mb or have I misunderstood? 
Stanman24
Grafter

In other words wireless performance is not a strong point of this router.
If you want wireless performance then start looking at other routers
barend

Thanks again Stanman24, Please forgive my previous ingnorance, I now realize that 72mbps is 7.2 Mb.  Cheers
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I'm not sure where 72MB or 72mbps comes into this. 7.2Mb or more correctly 7.2Mbps (megabits per second) is 7200kbps (kilobits per second), and that is well within the wireless capability of the TG582n. My broadband connection is a little faster than yours but iPlayer streaming over wireless to my Panasonic smart TV works fine, no buffering even for HD. BBC iPlayer diagnostics suggests 3.5Mbps is needed for HD and 1.5Mbps for SD. (The test wired on my PC gives 7.757Mbps.)
Have you tried iPlayer on a different wireless device (eg laptop, tablet or smartphone) to see if that shows the same problem?
Comparative wired/wireless test results at www.speedtest.net (downstream/upstream) are wired (on PC) 7.97Mbps/0.97Mbps and wireless (on Nexus 7 tablet) 7.42Mbps/1.05Mbps.
David
shalom2010
Grafter

My 582n works fine with our new Smart TV and via wireless which is in a different part of the house. BBC iPlayer works really well. I guess each environment is different.
barend

Thanks spraxyt and Steven for your replies.  I will try your suggestion spraxyt and borrow my wife's laptop to see if she can stream video from BBC iPlayer from the other room where the TV sits.  If she can and it works fine, I presume the fault lies with the TV. 
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

It would also be useful to run the iPlayer diagnostic check on both a wireless and wired connection to the laptop (or your PC) for comparison of speeds. It's possible channel interference could be reducing wireless speeds.
Hopefully the laptop/PC isn't running Windows XP, or if it is RWIN has been increased from the default value for both the wired and wireless network cards.
David
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Homeplugs would solve the problem if you have a spare socket near the TV and a spare socket near the router: http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-PA211KIT-200Mbps-Powerline-Ethernet/dp/B004INVKP4
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)