cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tariff troubles

astrolabe

tariff troubles

Hi,
  I've been with plusnet since 2004.  I pay £14.99 to get 2G bandwidth per month.  I see that the current plusnet tarrifs gives you 8G for £14.99 per month.
Am I missing some account detail, or is this a better deal than I am getting?
If it is a better deal than I'm getting, why wasn't I automatically upgraded to the better deal?
I'm not yet sure that this is the case here, but I find it irritating when companies produce better products for new customers, but reward the loyalty of existing customers by leaving them with inferior products unless they happen to notice what has happened.
5 REPLIES 5
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: tariff troubles

It might be.
You aren't guaranteed 8M  - it could be a lot less (even less than 2M) - depends on distance to exchange.
Your 8GBytes is for downloads in the 8am - midnight slot.
Your ping times will increase by about 20 ms, so not ideal if you are an internet game player.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: astrolabe
I'm not yet sure that this is the case here, but I find it irritating when companies produce better products for new customers, but reward the loyalty of existing customers by leaving them with inferior products unless they happen to notice what has happened.

Didn't you read the "Special Edition of Plus, The PlusNet Newsletter" which was emailed to you in the middle of April?
1. Broadband Your Way
We talked to customers about what they want from their ideal broadband product, and we've now launched Broadband Your Way as a result.
Broadband Your Way comes in 4 options starting from £9.99 a month. It’s a next-generation product that offers great value for money and gives you more control over your broadband.
It's free for you to move to Broadband Your Way, but you don't have to change your product. If you're happy with your current product that's fine, you can keep it.
Tell your friends about Broadband Your Way and you could earn up to 50p a month off your subscription for each person that joins us. With 4 options to choose from there’s something for everyone from occasional web surfers to Internet addicts.
Find out more about Broadband Your Way
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Spider
Grafter

Have a look at this page http://usergroup.plus.net/070920_bbywcomp3.php to compare your current product with the new ones.
With the regard to not being notified of the changes or automatically upgraded, Plusnet did send out notification but I am not sure if it went to people who had their 'no marketing' option ticked. The new products seem to have some good point as well as bad points compared to the old products. From a business point of view if they changed people over automatically they would have still received complaints from those people who did not want to change.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Given that BBYW gets lower priority on some protocols than PAYG, some people would have been very, very unhappy if they had been switched automatically.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
astrolabe

Thanks for the info everyone.  The comparison page was particularly helpful.  I see things aren't as simple as I suspected.
Tariff systems seems flawed somehow.  Sometimes I want a fast connection, sometimes I want a cheap connection.  However, I can see that this is a difficult problem to sort out.