Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sync speed only ever drops

zebbedi
Grafter

sync speed only ever drops

Why are my sync speeds so awful?
I moved into a new property back in October and immediately had massive battles with plus.net and BT due to having a really pathetic connection. BT eventually rewired the master socket FOC after they discovered it hadn't been done properly.
Since then on 20cn it hadn't exactly been great. Whilst the engineer was present my sync speed shot up to 1000. However over a few weeks it did nothing but slowly drop and drop to about 800.
Recently my exchange was upgraded to 21cn and so I moved over. Initially my connection was in the region of 1200 and was much better. An older speed check indicates
Jul 7, 08:41    1147 kbps (143kB/s)  235 kbps (29.4kB/s).
However yet again my sync has done nothing but drop. Today I lost connection twice this morning randomly and after reconnecting its currently on 1048. A speed check indicates
Today 07:24 843 kbps (105kB/s) 231 kbps (28.9kB/s)

I know that my line length is rubbish and also I think my 21cn move is in the tail end of training but it hasn't risen once. Recently I discovered that both my neighbours, one of which has a line coming from the same BT pole outside, currently sync on 20cn at ~1400 (faster than my current 21cn sync).
Finally after my first disconnect this morning I noticed that my connection had over 7000 RX CRC errors in 9 minutes of being connected.
I have always been plugged into the master socket (I have no filters as BT fitted a filtered face plate). I have no phone plugged in either. What can be wrong?

adsl status
  --------------------------- ATU-R Info (hw: annex A, f/w: annex A) -----------
  Running Mode            : ADSL2(G.992.3)      State                : SHOWTIME
  DS Actual Rate          :  1048000 bps  US Actual Rate      :  443928 bps
  DS Attainable Rate      :  1044000 bps  US Attainable Rate  :  632000 bps
  DS Path Mode            :        Fast    US Path Mode        :        Fast
  DS Interleave Depth    :        1      US Interleave Depth  :        1
  NE Current Attenuation  :      67 dB    Cur SNR Margin      :        6  dB
  DS actual PSD          :    14. 7 dB    US actual PSD        :    12. 6  dB
  ADSL Firmware Version  : 2471201_A
  -------------------------------- ATU-C Info ---------------------------------
  Far Current Attenuation :      40 dB    Far SNR Margin      :      11  dB
  CO ITU Version[0]      : 00004946      CO ITU Version[1]    : 0000544e
  DSLAM CHIPSET VENDOR    : < IFTN >
10 REPLIES 10
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: sync speed only ever drops

First, can you hear any crackling or other noises on your line when using the phone, or have any other problems making/receiving calls? Problems with the phone line will result in poor broadband performance.
Second, do you have any fixed extension sockets and wiring & if so, where are you plugged in? Are you using any extension leads anywhere?
Are any/all other telephone devices, including Skyboxes and the like, connected via decent quality filters that look like this?
zebbedi
Grafter

Yes the phone line has always been very crackly. But not had problems making or receiving calls.
I only have 1 master socket, no extensions, no other devices plugged in (not even the phone at the moment). The master socket is filtered at the master socket by a BT filtered face plate.
Anotherone
Champion

Ok, you need to report your crackly line to your phone line rental provider. If the crackles come and go, do it when it's crackling and ring up and get the call taker to confirm they can hear the noise and get then to log it as intermittent (even if it isn't as it might stop by the time the engineer gets out to it!) and don't mention your broadband as you may get the run around.
zebbedi
Grafter

I've done that before. BT run a test, call me back and say it's all fine. I can never get anywhere.
Anotherone
Champion

I know it's frustrating, just keep doing it when it's crackling until they accept or test it as a fault. You've undoubtedly got a dodgy joint somewhere. It probably doesn't help that you've got to talk to Mumbai (or wherever these days). Ask to speak to a manager if it persists.
zebbedi
Grafter

I'll give it another go. Last time I ended up having to cover the cost of BT engineer myself, who then overcharged me by £200 because they though I had a whole new phone line fitted. They then had to refund £300+ after they admitted it was their fault.

Can anyone from plus.net check my connection please?
Anotherone
Champion

You might be lucky and get them to run a copper test for you, but I know it should be BT.
But regarding the charges that's why I said do it when it's actually crackling and get them to confirm they can hear it, Ask them to log it and the fact that it's intermittent and that the information is passed to the OpenReach Engieer. If you do it that way, you've covered your self especially as the calls are recorded. You can always demand a copy of the recording to prove what you said if there was any future argument.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi zebbedi,
Let us know how you get on with your phone provider and if you need any help from us.
Jojo Smiley
zebbedi
Grafter

Jo can you please check the logs your end to see if there is anything amiss?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

This is the latest from our connection logs.

Jojo Smiley