cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

switching off broadband modem

gbhall
Grafter

switching off broadband modem

A fire in an aquaintances house caused by a faulty appliance (in that case a tv tuner), has led me to reconsider whether I should power off various things when not in use, including my BT voyager 210 broadband router, as a precautionary measure.  I am asking what would be the possible consequences of doing that ?  Would I have connection difficulties, or degradation of connection speed over time?
17 REPLIES 17
scootie
Grafter

Re: switching off broadband modem

whats line attention and sync speed reported on your router stats?.
As long as you dont rebboot loads of times in a short period of time then the dslam(exchange will not blow its tiny brain thinking you have a line fault)
The reason i ask for the router stats is if your on a long line and have a low sync then turning your router on(syncing) at night time will give a lower sync speed than if you did it midday which if your on a long line you could cause your ip profile to drop losing 500kbps-1000kbps(1mb)  speed.
coastergrotto
Grafter

I have often turned my router off at night and always do so when I'm away from home, without any detrimental effects.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

How about a smoke detector?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Mav
Fixes: 515

They don't actually prevent fires Sad
When you think about it, there are probably lots of things left on/plugged in even when the house is empty for a short while...
TV, washing machine, fridge freezer, clock/radio, microwave, any thing else with a clock/timer in it. The most safety concious of us could unplug everything every night. Not very practical.
A working smoke alarm could help save lives but the rest is, most likely, down to luck - or lack of it.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

scootie
Grafter

arr man i watched a standup comic awhile ago that made a joke out of people going on hols worrying that they have left somthing switched on. Yet what makes us trust fridge and frezzer so much that we dont turn them off Grin
Mav
Fixes: 515

I think most people leave the kettle plugged in and switched on at the wall 24/7.
I know my parent's use to make such an effort to ensure the TV. etc is switched off at the wall because of a fire hazzard but never the video recorder as they didn'rt want to have to reset the clock each day. Of course, the kettle was never unplugged any night Smiley

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

And these flat screen TV's are so big that they only just fit in the alcove between the chimney breast and the outside wall.
It would be quite an expedition to switch off the TV, DVD & VHS
If I wanted to switch off my PC (which for some reason uses two multi-socket extensions plugged into separate sockets in the ring main, each with a few multi-way adaptors for good measure,
I would have to allocate at least an hour to reach the inaccessible sockets.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Should have bought a switched extension board, in any case you could always pull the plugs out or is that too strenuous. I turn the washing machine water off now when I go out, after a burst hose a year or so ago.
Back to the OP' s question - It MIGHT result in a lower sync speed at switch on, but as ASBO has implied, if you post your ADSL line stats (Downstream & Upstream) we can make more informed comment.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I invested in a set of remote wireless switches, worked ok for several years then a drunken neighbour also get a set, I only use two channeles out of four at the moment for sockets that I cant reach, keep changing the channel, but he manages to find it at two in the morning, it also has a button inside to select four more sets of frequencies, they have even managed to find those.  fun in the evening sometimes doing finger battle with the remote
gbhall
Grafter

Take your points about lots of things being left switched on. In point of fact, I always have, and always will, switch off at the mains, but leave the plugs in. That is enough IMHO. We are talking about things left on standbye here, that's PC's, printers, tuners, video recorders, but not things easily switched off without consequences like losing settings.
Now Anotherone asked about my upload and download speeds. Those are 3172mbps down, 375mbps up. Router attention?? Synch speed. Apart from 'attention' prebably being 'attenuation', where do I find that?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: gbhall
Now Anotherone asked about my upload and download speeds. Those are 3172mbps down, 375mbps up. Router attention?? Synch speed. Apart from 'attention' prebably being 'attenuation', where do I find that?

Take a look here.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Anotherone
Champion

Just to clarify ASBO's typo, Downstream & Upstream - Sync/Connection Speed, Attenuation, Noise Margin (SNRM) & Power. Don't need error data at this time.
gbhall
Grafter

Thank you for the pointer. Figures are
                         DOWN        UP
Sync                   4224      448
noise margin     9.1       23.0
attenuation       42.0       24.0
power                19.6       11.9
Got the error stats anyway  Smiley  924 in 76510464    or 1.3 x 10minus6
Enough to advise on powering off now?
edit : error when keying last line : power up
[Moderator's note by Adie (Adiewoo):  Full quote of preceding post removed, as per Forum Rules ]
Anotherone
Champion

You could well end up with a poorer sync speed if you switch on again in the evening (especially after dark), it depends on what your noise margin does through this period.
If you have a check, make a note of time and noise margin say hourly from about 6pm BST until as late as is convenient, at least 11pm ish, and post the data.
On a seperate note, those stats are not as good as they ought to be, I'm guessing we might see several dB variation in noise margin probably down to internal wiring issues, alternatively this may be due to poor quality filter(s). (Also there maybe a misreporting of that US power, it should be about 12, nothing related to wiring or filters).
So question, what type of Master socket do you have, is it a NTE5, the one with a hoizontal split 1/2 way down? (see attached, size is 85x85mm approx.) What's the logo on it?
Do you have fixed extension wiring and sockets and how many, and where is the router plugged in, and what other devices are plugged in and if a sky box or similar, is it plugged in via a filter? What type of filters fo you have? I think that covers it, sorry about the long list.
Edit: added approx. to dimensions to satisfy a pedant.