cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

suddenly dropping connections

rikmoncur
Grafter

suddenly dropping connections

My router connection has been constantly dropping this last two days.
Speed is fine when connected. Checked my exchange (Dumfries) and no problems reported.
Never had problems before apart from the ocassional dropped connection which I think is to be expected.
My router (Netgear DG834PN) has been faultless. No changes have been made anywhere for a while at my end.
Is there some fault somewhere?
19 REPLIES 19
Redmarshall
Grafter

Re: suddenly dropping connections

My connection started dropping yesterday afternoon and I reported it to Plusnet but have had to go through all the usual procedures (trying different filters, routers, using the test socket etc. etc. etc.)
Plusnet now tell me I will have to wait 5 days to see if interleaving will help.
My Voyager router is reporting many errors and has had 76 line up counts in the 1 hour it has been connected - see attached jpg.
Had similar problems 9 months ago and it took 3 months to sort it out with Openreach having to visit about 5 times and renewing several lengths of underground cable.
There are no extensions on my phone line and I bought a new BT Faceplate splitter when I had the previous problems.
I am not optimistic my problems now are going to be sorted out quickly!
John
rikmoncur
Grafter

Thanks for the reply.
I tried a different filter but  I strongly suspect the fault isn't with my equipment so I'm not about to start taking the place apart.
Windows diagnostics reports:
"Windows couldn’t receive network traffic from the Internet."
I think I'll leave it til tomorrow and see what happens.
Good luck with your situation.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi rikmoncur,
I've had a look at your account and can't see any signs of improvement I'm afraid. At the moment it looks like your connection is dropping ever 30 to 60 minutes in frequency so I'm convinced there is an issue there that interleaving probably will not fix. As there's no sign of a fault being logged on your account I'm going to advise we do that as the next step, please visit https://fault.plus.net and complete the online form. Please bear in mind that this will ask you some questions that we may have already such as trying alternate filters and hardware etc, however this will give us all the information we need to test your line and raise a fault with BT Wholesale if deemed appropriate.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
rikmoncur
Grafter

thanks for the reply.
got a typo in your url tho - it's
https://faults.plus.net
and I'm using windows7 - the fault checker only has vista.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

No problem, my bad on the typo  Embarrassed Don't worry too much about making us aware of your operating system, we are aware that it doesn't list every relevant OS available at present. We are looking to update the fault checker soon.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
rikmoncur
Grafter

I've been through the fault system.
Tried an old Windows ME laptop with a cable broadband modem and exactly the same problem results. Frequent disconnections. I think this proves the fault is with the line. The connection had deteriorated so much it's off more times than it's on and has become completely unuseable.
rikmoncur
Grafter

Still no solution to this. Tried plugging directly into the test socket of the phone socket with all other devices disconnected. Still getting the line dropping tho.
Yesterday evening the link was disconnected more than it was connected.
Today, we have longer uptime but still frequent disconnections for several minutes at a time - most frustrating.
rikmoncur
Grafter

Day 5. Still getting disconnections.
This is intolerable. The router connects for a few seconds then it's off again for 5 minutes. I've had no working broadband for days now.
No action being taken on my support ticket.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi rikmoncur,
I'm testing your line now, there'll be an update on the ticket very shortly. Sorry for the delay in picking this up.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Yep, that's now on its way to investigation and fix. We'll let you know when anything comes back.
rikmoncur
Grafter

thank you....
"more than 204 disconnections in the last 24 hours" - is that a record?!
rikmoncur
Grafter

Day 7.
Is there any timetable or info you could inform me of? Uncertainty is the worst thing.
robbo1948

Rik,
This doesn't help you in the short term, but longer term if there is an issue with your phoneline have you considered cable (if it's in your area?) I don't know if it's more reliable or not, but something I have been considering
rikmoncur
Grafter

I don't think there is cable in my area (Dumfries) but the BT engineer has just confirmed there is a fault at the exchange and it's been passed onto them to fix it.
Hopefully in a day or so I'll be back from the stone age.