cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stuck profile?

IanM
Grafter

stuck profile?

Is this still something that can happen?
After holding a steady sync for something like 72hrs-84hrs, followed by a power off (for a few hours) and then powering back on with the same sync as before, should the profile have now updated?
Our line was reasonably steady at >4000kb/s (3.5mb profile) for over a year, then suddenly in June or July it dropped to just over 3000kb/s which has been really frustrating. Sync is now holding steady at 3648kb/s, so should the profile now be back up to 3mb?
9 REPLIES 9
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: stuck profile?

Have you checked the profile reported by the BT diagnostic test or is this the current line speed on the portal?
It can take the BT systems up to 5 days to increase the IP Profile if the change in sync speed isn't that great.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
DanHodby
Grafter

Hi IanM,
I've upped the profile for you but there has been some maintenance in your area over the last few days so its worth keeping an eye on things.
IanM
Grafter

Quote from: Dan
I've upped the profile for you but there has been some maintenance in your area over the last few days so its worth keeping an eye on things.

Thanks Smiley
I have resumed my current downloading, so far no significant change - it's now peaking at just over 290kB/s, before I was seeing peaks of around 286kB/s. I'll see if it picks up later when we get to the off peak time.
I don't know what to make of the line speed since the serious performance drop in June/July. I know the telephone exchange has been, or is in the process of being upgraded to FTTC capable. There have also been several rounds of major roadworks on the roads leading up to my street and a few people have had new drives and such. At first I wondered if the loss of sync speed was a seasonal effect but now I'm worried that it's permanent due to one of the works (it used to be possible for us to watch iPlayer and YouTube off peak, but with the lower speed there are bad stutters every few seconds and out of sync sound.)
Quote from: jelv

profile reported by the BT diagnostic test
I was looking at the portal. Where is the correct place to find the BT diagnostic test? Thanks
jelv
Seasoned Hero

http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/
When the first pass completes click Further diagnostics at the bottom - it can be a bit temperamental.
IanM
Grafter

Thanks, I had speedtester.bt.com bookmarked and unsurprisingly there's nothing there. I'll run the test later
jelv
Seasoned Hero

That goes back a bit!
IanM
Grafter

no joy with the speedtester - further diagnostics always comes back with the message about encountering an error
although we're definitely still limited as per a 2.5mb profile right now, will try a router reboot in the morning and see what happens then
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Hi Ian,
Can you please post your router stats.  There is little point looking for an improvement to the profile unless there has been an improvement to support the expectation.  See here for more information - http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/broadband_terminology.shtml#ipProfile
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

IanM
Grafter

I powered off the router for a bit and rebooted, now downloading at 340kB/s and the profile as noted in the Plusnet portal shows 3.0 Mb so it all seems to be as it should be now.
Will hope that I can get back up to >4000kb/s sync at some point and a 3.5 Mb profile, but for now I will see if the line holds as is.