Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

spikes in fibre

weejake1
Grafter

spikes in fibre

my line is live for past 14 days but i experience spikes in speeds
when the fibre was installed the engineer showed me 40mbps on his meter.
i never get anywhere near this
on further examination the speed seems to spike and when it does that is a close as i get to 40mbps..for a second or 2

on doing speed tests the line is always in the teens and only in the 30's for a split sec before dropping again.
is this normal?
8 REPLIES 8
mikeyriot
Grafter

Re: spikes in fibre

When I first got FTTC I noticed this but in my case the solution was simple:
I simply moved my router (wireless) closer to my pc and i now get much more consistent speeds above 30mb. One thing to note is although u may be synced near 40mb (38717kb), the maximum throughput your likely to see is 36-38mb at the most, due to overheads.
Now question time:
First off, are you connected direct to the router or wireless and are the results you get consistent throughout the day and night?
If no to the first then connect with an ethernet and retest. If no the second then it may be a contention issue (i.e neighbours all on at the same time and killing your bandwidth).
Since it spikes though, I'm willing to bet your using wifi.
weejake1
Grafter

thanks for the reply  .the router is beside the pc and has been even on asdl2 where the line was stable.
i have a sheilded cat6a cable from my modem to the router and then from the router to the pc.
the wifi is switched on and my smartphone connects to it but  not the pc
i am also on the pro package with the fibre
so daytime or night time should not make any difference to me

this spiking goes in the shape of an "M" every 1-2 mins

mikeyriot
Grafter

No worries Jake.
Ok so we know its not wifi then, but the reason I asked about times of day was for two reasons: although you have the pro package, it very rarely isnt applied correctly ( but as you hit the top end in spikes i very much doubt this is the issue), and secondly as I mentioned above was contention. Even with the pro package you will still suffer from contention if there are too many people connected to the same VP, so if its happening during peak times you know this is likely. Think of it as 100 people all share the same corridor, its fine until everyone uses it at the same time! (remember school?!).
There is a way to check the status, let me see if I can find the link for you http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/, however the regular M shaped spiking does sound abit dodgey, like interference somewhere (either in your home, along the line or maybe even at the cab itself?)
I'd raise a ticket as something odd is going on there.....
Edited to put in link
matt_2k34
Grafter

although you have the pro package, it very rarely isnt applied correctly

Incorrect. The most you would of get with it not applied correctly is 24 hours this was due to a bug on release... this problem has since been rectified and at least is 'mopped up' nightly if not.
You havent posted screenshots of the speedtests ... mine are "spikey" but it normally means wheverever your getting the data from cant send it fast enough... That "M" shaped image is perfectly normal, if the other end cant push the data (where did you take the SS, what software? what downloading..?)
Do you use Steam? its a very good way to measure total bandwidth as they have *ample* and I've noticed 4MB/s+ even during the day.
when using speedtest.net - i always use Maidenhead, as it gives the most 'sensible' results normally. Most speedtesters arent really up to scratch when it comes to FTTC... i suspect they allow too many simultaneous tests and they do not have the bandwidth available to max out everyone at once!
That is, if i have understood you correctly. More images and descriptions of what and where would be appreciated.
Regards
weejake1
Grafter

as i speak its 5.30 in the morning and am downloading a movie .
my speed has been consistent for the last 7m minutes of around 3500kbps
i started out only using  one server to download and noticed my speeds were only 1500kbps
so i then connected to 2 other servers which made a total of 3 servers downloading the same movie( im using usenet)
(its as if i've force the speed up my connecting to more servers)
speed is now up to 3500kbps and it is staying there.....
great im getting a fantastic speed but its 5.30+ in the morning...
why cant i get those speeds at 5.30 in the the evening?
whats the point in having fibre optic and as well the pro add on if they only give you the best speed in the wee small hours..
dont we need those speeds on demand at anytime of the the day?
if anything this has proved there is fck all wrong with my line sync and my internal wiring or any wiring for that matter . if i can hit these speeds now at this time in the morning  i cant hit them at anytime
16min into the download and my speed has not dropped below 3500kbps
unbelievable speed    .
so please someone tell me why cant this happen during the daytime?????????????????????

21 min into the download and still going strong .....
weejake1
Grafter

wait till you see this speed
its a disgrace that i can get 4100kbps at 6.am in the morning .
why the fck cant this be got at 6 in the evening when my son want to watch kungfupanda.
who wants to get up at this time just to appreciate fast download speeds
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi weejake,
There's a couple of things we could look at for that. It'd be worth trying a wireshark capture when it's running slow to check what the traffic is prioritised as, just to make sure the pro profile is working as it should - it's definitely applied on your account though. I'd also recommend running a speed test (ideally a BT one) when it's slow just to check on that. I've checked the exchange and capacity looks fine so I don't think it'll be that, though the latest update there was a month ago so that is always a possibility. The speed test and wireshark results will give us a bit more of an idea.
weejake1
Grafter

no problems matt .i will do what you suggest and thanks for responding.