cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

speeds?

stewbett
Grafter

speeds?

Hi just wondering what my speed should be, when i joined i cant remember if it was 4mb or 6mb, ive got a ticket at the moment due to poor disconects and low speeds so cant check yet. Cry  we could all play top trumps to see who has the lower speed while we all wait lol
18 REPLIES 18
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: speeds?

Your speeds should be higher than you are seeing, however it looks as though a line fault is causing intermittent disconnections and that's why your speed is slower.
Once the line fault is fixed you should start to see an improvement.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
stewbett
Grafter

thanks for the reply, yes there is a major fault, however i recived a call this morning from plusnet saying bt have been to the exchange and no faults found, i explaned i still cant use my home phone and my broadband is like dial up its so slow, the fact that plusnet cant ring me on the house phone shows thre is still a problem, i was promised yesterday if it wasnt fixed a bt engineer would call today still no joy, i cant be expected to pay for service that i cant use, nothing against the plusnet staff they are very friendly i just seem to be getting calls "line tests all ok " "no fault this end" "bt showing no faults" ect, this is getting anoying now its been a week.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Do you pay Plusnet for your phone?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
stewbett
Grafter

yes phone and broadband
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You need to ring PN support and make sure they realise that the primary problem is a phone fault. If they treat it just as a broadband fault it will probably take longer to get fixed (If it is reported as a no broadband connection fault rather than an intermittent connection and you have managed to sync once - no matter how crap the speed - BT will close it as no fault found).
Once the phone is fixed you should get a better sync without disconnections (note it may take one or two days for BT to raise your IP profile so speeds may stay down for a little while).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
stewbett
Grafter

i made them aware from the start that it was the phone and broadband, and raised a question in the main plus net site as to weather charges will be deducted for services not recived, i was told bt do not have a service level agreement with plusnet for adsl downtime, i think they are missing the point that both service are screwed.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
I can see that an engineer was booked to attend this morning, has that solved the fault? Certainly hoping so, please let us know - if not we'll pass it back for more investigation.
stewbett
Grafter

Hi Matt nope it didnt help at all
Bt have been today, i recived a call from bt saying he was calling to my home this morning but was going to test the exchange first, he asked what the problems were i explanined the phone was engaged all the time and the broadband was painfully slow and disconecting, he repliaed im only "here to test the phone fault" he then came to the house and did some test and said the fault was with the phone even though i have tried corded and cordless, however the broadband was still slow so i have disconected the phone and the and its  still slow so i am no further forward than before. What will be the next step as the broadband fault has yet to be investigated at my home?
this is the test i took today

update i have just borrowed a phone from my parents that i know works fine as they use it, ive plugged it in and my line is still engaged????
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi stewbett,
We won't be able to progress the broadband fault until the phone fault is closed I'm afraid, but from what you've said the phone fault is almost certainly the cause. It looks like the next step on that is to get another engineer out to you, the fault notes say that this is in progress of being arranged. Now you've tested with an alternative phone you can say categorically that this isn't the cause.
When there's any more information we'll let you know.
stewbett
Grafter

bt have been today, again the engineer that called said he was only here for the phone fault not the broadband, luckily he was very helpful i asked about the master socket as it was very old and he replaced this for me to save waiting for a broadband engineer, he didnt expect it to work but it did, very happy now its up and running is there anyway to up the speed slightly ive noticed about raising profiles no idea what it is ?
new speed test today

stewbett
Grafter

ok its broke again !!
Mand
Grafter

There's no update from the engineer as yet, but we'll check again this afternoon.
Your line is still very intermittent (11 drops today), so something's still wrong somewhere.
stewbett
Grafter

Hi Mand i have explainded above what happend today, so far i have had 1 engineer go to the exchange and found no fault, a second engineer go to the exchange and to my home and found no fault on the phone line, and a third engineer today who found no fault on the phone line, the last 2 engineers have both said they are only here to test the phone not the broadband, the engineer that came today has said i dont know why they sent me as you need a broadband tech to investigate. I have called plus net today and they are awaiting the report then will pass it back to bt, i regret my decision to take up plus net as im no further foward than i was a couple of weeks ago, i can see them just sending another phone engineer out and i have lost 2 days pay over this allready, can you advise how can i request a mac code ?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi stewbett,
As long as the line is still noisy it needs to be investigated as a phone fault I'm afraid, it looks from the ticket like the line is still noisy and there's another engineer scheduled to visit the exchange tomorrow. If the noise is gone please let us know and we'll see how things look on the broadband side (you should find things start getting better once the noise is gone).
If you'd like to request a MAC you'll need to call our customer options team on 0845 140 6002 - they'll be able to help you out there though I hope we can get things sorted for you before it comes to that.