cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

speed problems

Teds31
Grafter

speed problems

Hi I am having speed problems I have jumped through the usual hoops to no avail so here I am. I have a PN Technicolor router and the details are as below...
Uptime: 3 days, 2:55:32

DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.3

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1.099 / 5.415

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 54,20 / 516,83

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,6 / 0,0

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 26,3 / 43,5

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 5,5 / 7,8

System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB 
My BT wholesale test results are 
download speed (Mpbs) 2.93
upload speed (Mbps) 0.92
ping                            35.13
Up to a week ago I had a good steady download speed of 5000+
can anyone help without me having to go through all the hoops again or have threats of BT charges should I be silly enough to have made some mistake. Ted
6 REPLIES 6
MsDizzie
Grafter

Re: speed problems

Hi Teds
Looks like you're on ADSL2
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php reports a max of around 6900kbps
Is it just the change of speed you're concerned about? Have there been any other problems? (Noticed that your up time is 3 days)
Looks like you need to contact Plusnet to see if BT have inadvertently made any changes to your profile... unless more informed community members advise you differently.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

At a guess your default noise margin could have been increased from 6dB to 9dB
A resync and check of the noise margin would prove or disprove that
However the other possibility is that your router resynched at dead of night with a 6dB noise margin (calculated from the router up time and the time you posted) and in which case a resync during daylight hours would give you back your higher speed with a 6dB margin
Teds31
Grafter

Thanks Msdizzie and Old Jim for the quick replies. When talking of resynch are we referring to the router being powered off in some way and that it would be advantageous to switch it off and on at a daylight time. We may have had power problems over the last week or so maybe that's the reason. can you confirm that that is what you mean Jim. Thanks again .Ted
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Not really although that would have the same affect
Go into the router page and click on disconnect - this will disconnect the PPP session but not the connection to the exchange
Give it a few minutes then disconnect the telephone line from the router and wait about 5 mins then plug it in again
Once the broadband light is solid green then go into the router page again and click on connect
Teds31
Grafter

Tried that Jim the results are exactly the same any other suggestions.Ted  Sad
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Teds,
I can see you've started raising a fault but unfortunately this closed as not all the questions were answered - if you could run through the faults wizard at http://faults.plus.net it'll pass a ticket through to our faults team once it's been completed - we can then investigate this for you in full and get it sorted.
Hope that helps.