Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

speed problems! helpppppp

bangorcity
Grafter

speed problems! helpppppp

hi people,
this is my first post hope this is the right place. i have been having speed issues for a long time now. i understand because of the length of my line i am not going to get mega fast broadband (max probably 1meg :-[) but what im getting a lot of the time is completely unusable. i raised a fault ticket last week due to this problem was told the usual i,e btw are investigating etc but i did see a HUGE improvement in line profile speed, twice as fast as what i have been getting. Now low and behold it has fallen back again. i have checked the update of the fault and i it says it is waiting for a vp upgrade in the exchange. would this really affect my profile speeds? because as i see it a vp upgrade would only help a stable connection at peak times yet my speed problems are constant. also would it help my speeds if i went on max pro? confused.com Smiley Smiley
49 REPLIES 49
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: speed problems! helpppppp

Fundamentally the state of the exchange or the product you are on would have no effect on the sync speed or the IP profile
So that we can see the extent of the problem can you post the stats from your router - noise margin, attenuation and speeds - also the latest IP profile (the Plusnet mirror would be as good at this stage https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed)
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If you have been told that a VP upgrade is going to affect your IP Profile I suggest you post the ticket number so that one of the comms team can give the appropriate agent a bollocking! It's rubbish as you suspected.
Can you post your router stats (sync speed, attenuation and noise margin) please. Also a description of your setup (is your router in the master or an extension, are other extensions in use etc.) would help.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
bangorcity
Grafter

right here goes hope this is the info you need!
ticket number: 36360960
oldjim this is the info from the link you gave:

Telephone number:
  <removed>
Phone exchange:
    BANGOR
Estimated line speed:
    1.0 - Checked on 2010-07-13 12:56:11
Current line speed:
this is the latest info on the ticket regarding noise etc
Upstream Link Info

Loop Loss Loop Loss Add Text SNR Margin Errored Seconds HecErrors Cell Count Speed
46.5 9.6 1 0 590516 192

Downstream Link Info

Loop Loss Loop Loss Add Text SNR Margin ErroredSeconds HecErrors CellCount Speed
63.5 7 1 0 2297477 576

DSL Max Data

BIP Interface Data

Current line rate Line rate change timestamp Maximum Stable Rate Recalcuated ProfileTimestamp Maximum Stable Rate
500 2010-10-26T08:37:04 N 2010-10-01T00:00:00 576

Fault Threshold Rate Interleaving Flag ServiceOption ServiceOption Status ServiceOption Update Timestamp
576 A 1 UNABLE TO REACH THE CHOSEN SERVICE OPTION BUT WILL CONTINUE TO FUNCTION UNDER DLM CONTROL (ILQ=R) 2010-10-01T01:10:14
and here is the result of a speed test just run on the bt speedtester:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 226 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-250 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :512 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 224 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 250 Kbps
my router is connected to the master socket, which is the only socket in the house. nothing else is plugged into it not even the house phone as the connection is unstable when anything else is plugged in although that was meant to of been sorted out on the last engineer visit.
any help would be much appreciated. jojo?
thanks
jim:green telephone number removed mod:end
bangorcity
Grafter

Loop Loss Loop Loss Add Text SNR Margin Errored Seconds HecErrors Cell Count Speed
46.5 9.6 1 0 590516 192  9.6              1                    0                              590516      192
Downstream Link Info

Loop Loss Loop Loss Add Text SNR Margin ErroredSeconds HecErrors CellCount Speed
63.5 7 1 0 2297477 576              1                          0                      2297477      576
BIP Interface Data

Current line rate Line rate change timestamp Maximum Stable Rate Recalcuated ProfileTimestamp Maximum Stable Rate
500 2010-10-26T08:37:04 N 2010-10-01T00:00:00 576          n                                          2010-10-01T00:00:00            576
Fault Threshold Rate Interleaving Flag ServiceOption ServiceOption Status ServiceOption Update Timestamp
576 A 1 UNABLE TO REACH THE CHOSEN SERVICE OPTION BUT WILL CONTINUE TO FUNCTION UNDER DLM CONTROL (ILQ=R) 2010-10-01T01:10:14
sorry just realised not all the info showed up. hope this is all of it
jelv
Seasoned Hero

With the telephone ONLY (no filter or router) plugged in, what is the quality of the phone line like? Is there any background noise? (If you dial 17070 and take the option 2 quiet line test it gives you a clear line for you to listen, there should be no noise).
Quote from: bangorcity
my router is connected to the master socket, which is the only socket in the house. nothing else is plugged into it not even the house phone as the connection is unstable when anything else is plugged in although that was meant to of been sorted out on the last engineer visit.

This isn't good. Have you tried a different filter and router to confirm whether it is the line or the equipment?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php should help you find the stats reported by your router. If you have trouble finding them post what make and model of router you have and I'm sure someone will point you in the right direction.
bangorcity
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
With the telephone ONLY (no filter or router) plugged in, what is the quality of the phone line like? Is there any background noise? (If you dial 17070 and take the option 2 quiet line test it gives you a clear line for you to listen, there should be no noise).

This isn't good. Have you tried a different filter and router to confirm whether it is the line or the equipment?

hi
i tried the line test its quiet no crackling, background noise or anything. also i have a bt faceplate fitted so dont normaly use a filter but when i removed the plate to plug into the master socket i tried 2 different microfilters and another router all with the phone plugged in and still had the same problem.
here are the results of the router stats=
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 1:19:25
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 224 / 512
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 14.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 31.5 / 63.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 7.0 / 7.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 190 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 17 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 28 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 307
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 1
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
Oldjim
Resting Legend

First thing you are on a fixed rate product so there shouldn't be an IP profile at all.
The bit I don't understand is
Fault Threshold Rate  Interleaving Flag  ServiceOption  ServiceOption Status  ServiceOption Update Timestamp
576  A  1  UNABLE TO REACH THE CHOSEN SERVICE OPTION BUT WILL CONTINUE TO FUNCTION UNDER DLM CONTROL (ILQ=R)  2010-10-01T01:10:14
but I assume it means that the router was unable to sync at 512kbps at one time so the line was restricted even further
jelv
Seasoned Hero

When you've said "and still had the same problem" did you mean that you were still seeing the same slow speeds on speed tests etc? If so that proves nothing, the BT systems take a considerable time to update after a change.
What you need to do is to compare the router stats to see if they show any improvement, if they do you will only see improved speeds when the BT systems update which will probably be two or three days.
A word of warning: while you are trying things out leave at least an hour between each time you unplug things to swap bits about. Too many disconnections in a short space of time and the BT system will set yout IP Profile to 135 Sad
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Jim,
I thought the BT speed test didn't show the Ip profile for people on a fixed rate product?
Also shouldn't the upload be 384?
bangorcity
Grafter

a fixed speed line? this is a strange one i never noticed that. i WAS on a fixed speed 500kbps line but that was meant to of been changed back 2 months ago as i was connected for about 4 days then had no connection at all
sorry when i said that ''still having the same problems'' i didnt mean now i meant when i tried it. i have not fiddled about with anything since raising the fault because i was worried about the line profile dropping, which has happened anyway.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

They should be
Upstream Rate (Kbps) 288
Downstream Rate (Kbps) 576
but neither is being reached
I suppose it could be DSLMax with both being heavily restrictred but that doesn't explain the fault report which refers to 576kbps as the chosen service option
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Jim,
On the fixed rate products it either synced at the set speed or it didn't sync at all. He's definitely on Max or 21CN configured for ADSL1.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi bangorcity,
Just to clear something up here. You are on max on 20CN. I would certainly expect to see a better sync rate than the one I saw when I checked it just now which was 512k. When you said you tried 2 filters and a different router you would have seen no difference as the DLM won't change immediately. What you would have had to check is whether the sync rate increased. Your fault ticket says that some work to is being carried out by BT and we are hoping to have an update on the 4th, so there's not much we can do until then unfortunately.
Jojo Smiley