cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

speed problem?

johnjarram
Grafter

speed problem?

i switched over from aol on 20/5/08 to plusnet,since then my download speed has dropped to around 130 kbps i know about the 10 day training period but is it normal to be this low      ADSL Link          Downstream          Upstream
Connection Speed 160 kbps     416 kbps
Line Attenuation   59 db             15.5 db
Noise Margin             11 db               6 db       
5 REPLIES 5
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: speed problem?

Hi there,
It sounds like there's an intermittent issue with interference on the line. Your first step should be to test the connection with just the router plugged into the master phone socket (where the line enters your premises) with all other line items including faxes and sky boxes unplugged.
If the connection holds and the sync speed increases, you know it's something plugged in at your premises and you should plug things back in one at a time, checking the sync speed after each to see which is causing the issue. Make sure everything plugged into the line is filtered.
If it still drops or remains at a low speed it's more likely to be a line fault and should be reported to us for investigation and escalation to our supplier at http://faults.plus.net.
If you want to kow any more there's a blog on faults linked in my signature that should tell you all you need to know.
Hope that helps,
johnjarram
Grafter

only have one phone socket,it has a phone and the router plugged in to it i have tried a different router ,new filters ,new adsl cable and unplugging the phone still no difference.i've noticed if i make a phone call the adsl signal dies within about ten seconds
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hmmm... is there any noise on the line (ie crackling, beeps etc) when you pick the phone up? If so I'd say it needs reporting to your phone supplier. If not then raise it to us at http://faults.plus.net and we'll get back to you with the results of our testing.
Hope that helps,
johnjarram
Grafter

just unscrewed the master socket faceplate and one of the wires had snapped at the connecting point clipped the wire back in at it resynced at 1920 kbps so an improvement hopefully that was the problem
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Sounds like it, glad to hear things have improved. Please let us know if there's any developments though and we'll be able to advise further.