cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

speed problem

laura
Grafter

speed problem

hi, having speed problems again.  The last time, Joanne took a look at my profile and discovered there was a problem with it.  I have raised a ticket, and hope that was the right thing to do because I wasn't able to say what the issue is.  I am in the master socket connected by ethernet, and my download speed is 0.13, upload 0.38, ping 88ms. The speed has been lousy for a few days, and by yesterday evening there was a terrible noise on the phone but this has eased back now. Did I do the right thing by raising a ticket - the info on the page was that checks would be done by plusnet, any idea what they do? The download speed seems to be an issue every time we have windy weather, and I wondered if the fault could be with the overhead line that comes to the house from the telephone pole.  It whizzes around so much I always worry that it will pull itself off the house!  I'm particularly upset about the timing cos I finally took the plunge and ordered a new pc and it is due to be delivered in a couple of days, looks like I won't be able to connect it to the net to download security, updates, and all the programs I use.  Any info on what checks will be done would be great - hopefully I'll be able to get on the net to see if there  are any replies.
12 REPLIES 12
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: speed problem

HI Laura,
I'll look into this now and see what I can come up with for you.
Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Laura,
All the disconnections you can see in the graph have caused the profile to drop. You said you're in the master socket, do you mean the test socket behind the faceplate? I've just tried ringing you but no answer. What time will you be home?
Jojo Smiley
laura
Grafter

hi jojo, thanks for your reply!  I was here yesterday when the phone rang but I was upstairs - as I got to the phone it stopped.  Today, I have to go out at approx 11 am but expect to be back after about 12.30 and then in for the rest of the afternoon if it would be possible for you to ring at some point.
Any idea what would cause all the disconnections I see in the graph? The low speeds always seem to happen when we have windy weather - could it be anything to do with the line that runs from the telephone pole to the house?  Anyway, I'm plugged in to the master socket - have been since yesterday afternoon - and still the low speeds. I did manage to do a speed test yesterday (can't use the BT one, it freezes) and the results were ping 88ms, download speed 0.13, upload speed 0.38.
kind regards,
julie
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Julie,
Thanks for your time. See the graph below which shows how you have been connected since you plugged into the test socket. I am now looking into getting your speed restored, as we discussed. I will post back once I find out more.
Jojo Smiley
laura
Grafter

hi, I have seen a bit of a speed improvement but not back to normal as yet.  Many thanks for your help on this.
julie
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Julie,
The speed is back up now so you should see the increase within the next 15 minutes.
Jojo Smiley
laura
Grafter

hi again,
after about 3.30 I have seen speeds improve back to normal.  However a few minutes ago I had another complete disconnection, pings (to bbc and plusnet) came back destination unreachable, and also requests time out).  Luckily it came back again.  I'll keep monitoring the situation and let you know how it goes on.  Thanks for your help on this.
kind regards
julie
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Julie,
Is it a wireless connection? Have you rebooted the router at all?
Jojo Smiley
laura
Grafter

hi, extremely slow speeds again I'm afraid.  Further to your reply to my last post, yes it's a wireless connection. The router is still plugged in to the master socket.  I can't use ethernet for normal use because there is no room in the hall for a desk, so I only use ethernet to do things like speed tests.  I rebooted the router this morning, in fact I had to switch it off for maybe 20 minutes because I received a new computer, and switched the router off so that it did not connect to the internet while I was setting  up the computer, in case of viruses.  I would hope that just switching off for a short time wouldn't impact on speed.  I wonder if my profile has dropped again?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Julie,
As discussed we'll see how it goes overnight and I'll check in the morning for you.
Jojo Smiley
laura
Grafter

hi jojo, thanks for your help again on this.  I seem to have my speed back now and am starting to download programs to the new computer - I think this is going to take me days! many thanks.
kind regards
julie
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Julie,
Glad to hear it, thanks for letting me know.
Jojo Smiley