Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

speed faster with previous ISP

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: speed faster with previous ISP

Hi, can't do anything until the upstream uncap order finishes. If you want the errors looking into though your best bet there is to raise a fault (regardless of what the agent said about speeds - though if it's to do with errors we should still be able to raise it depending on the test results). Our faults team will be able to check the line and advise better than we could.
Actually just checked your account and there's a fault ticket open - it looks like you requested on that ticket that your SNR is set to 3dB? That won't help at all with the errors, in fact it'll make the line more susceptible and I very much doubt it'd be worth mixing interleaving with a 3dB target. Why not just let DLM sort everything out, see where it settles and then look to see if there are any problems? I've got serious concerns that the requests to tweak the line we're getting are causing all these issues.
EDIT: as per above Smiley Thanks thesawdust!
TORPC
Grafter

Cheers Matt and sawdust
@sawdust
Theres the catch as I have technically named my previous ISP in the links I provided Page 2 Post #21 Wink
@Matt
The errors were on the line from day 1 prior to any tweaking of any kind and at the time the only changes to my connection was the change over to your TGN582n Router and downgraded to IPstream from LLU
Please also note (I had speech clipping on my landline with my other ISP, which has now disappeared now I am with PN)
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: TORPC
The errors were on the line from day 1 prior to any tweaking of any kind and at the time the only changes to my connection was the change over to your TGN582n Router and downgraded to IPstream from LLU

Surely that's all the more reason to let the line settle and see what happens with the DLM rather than tweaking it? Lowering the SNR will never improve any line that's erroring, all it'll do is make it more likely to error.

Please also note (I had speech clipping on my landline with my other ISP, which has now disappeared now I am with PN)

Glad to hear that, I guess there's no noise on the line or anything similar though?
TORPC
Grafter

The line was given the full 10 days to settle, when I then noticed the speeds drop below 4 Mbps, you will also see on the same ticket mentioned earlier, that was issue(s) in getting my Broadband connected in the 1st instance
- BOT - DSL Logged Faults
2:19pm, Tuesday 3 Dec 2013
Dear Sir,
As per our conversation, you are now connected following the router being reset. As agreed, I'll test the circuit again tomorrow to ensure the connection remains stable and if it does I will close the fault for you.
Please do not hesitate to get back in touch online at http://contactus.plus.net or by phone on 0800 432 0200 or 0345 140 0200 if we can be of further assistance.
The next action on your Help Assistant Question is due on Wednesday 4th December at 7:00am. This Question will remain open with the CSC - Faults - WC until this time.

the next response from me was 14/12/2013 when I phoned in as the speeds had dropped
- CSC Analyst
11:28am, Saturday 14 Dec 2013
Customer called to advise that over last 24 hrs seen speeds ranging from 2-5mb/s, slower that what is normal.
have run status check and showing 7mb down and 29 errored seconds on downstream.
new router en route to customer for a separate issue.
Kind regards,

The reason for the new router was the agent and I at the time when I phoned in did not recognise or know about the What would cause TG582n to not connect with time server(s) (SOLVED)

Quote from: ejs
See: https://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,113730.0.html
If the Plusnet Broadband Firewall set to "high", then ntp won't work.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for that, however I maintain that making changes to the SNR on a line that's erroring will make the errors worse. I'd strongly recommend setting all the DLM settings (interleaving, SNR targets etc) to their standard settings and seeing if that helps stabilise the line and reduce the errors. Once that's been established we'll know what we're looking at faults wise and can get it investigated that way.
TORPC
Grafter

As the SNR was only set to 3db yesterday and was advised to wait until the 12th, will that still apply before you can make the changes you mentioned ??
However in the meantime I can confirm the the connection remains very stable despite being on a 3db profile with a lot of errored seconds tbh
thesawdust
Grafter

PlusNET should reset DLM/SNR!
You should leave router alone, leave it alone for first 10days (This includes re-connecting ADSL)  let DLM do it's business.
TORPC
Grafter

@sawdust
As previously stated to Matt
As the SNR was only set to 3db yesterday and was advised to wait until the 12th, will that still apply before you can make the changes you mentioned ?Huh

The line was given the full 10 days to settle, when I then noticed the speeds drop below 4 Mbps,
- BOT - DSL Logged Faults
2:19pm, Tuesday 3 Dec 2013
To
- CSC Analyst
11:28am, Saturday 14 Dec 2013

is = to 11 days that is 1 day over the 10 days DLM needs Wink
Therefore the DLM had the chance to do its business as you put it, before the dramatic lower speed kicked in  Wink
thesawdust
Grafter

With the bad weather? Maybe you should wait for it to calm down and get line put back into training  Shocked