Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

speed drop

Lapa
Dabbler

speed drop

Hi Everybody,
I've got a problem with my adsl broadband speed.
At the beginning everything went well, I had an approximate dl speed of 6 mbps but then two weeks ago after I came back from holidays I found that my broadband wasn't working anymore.
So I raised a fault and after two visits from BT engineers it seems that everithing is working again with the "slight" difference of 1,5 mbps dl speed and 0,5 mbps ul speed.
They said that the problem was caused originally by a fault on the main exchange but now everything seems fixed.
What you suggest me to do? do you think that switching to fibre might solve this problem? should I resign from plusnet since the speed that i signed for is not the one I am getting now?
thanks for your suggestion
Ale
18 REPLIES 18
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: speed drop

I'm just looking into this for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Lapa
Dabbler

i forgot to put some more stats
Phone exchange:
HIGHAMS PARK
Estimated line speed:
3.0Mb (This may vary between 2.5Mb and 6.5Mb) - Checked on 2015-10-27 15:19:26
Current line speed:
1.8 Mb
BTWholesale test
Download speedachieved during the test was - 1.29 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.8 Mbps-2 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 1.81 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.54Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

I've made our Faults team aware and we'll get this picked up as soon as we can.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Lapa
Dabbler

Thanks Mattew,
I forgot to put also this stats
7 - Data rate: 888/2023
8 - Maximum data rate: 888/3876
9 - Noise margin: 8.5/25.3
10 - Line attenuation: 25.1/41.0

Could anybody give me some advice on what should I do?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The downstream noise margin is very very high. I can see our faults team have this in hand at the moment.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Lapa
Dabbler

Hi, just to let everybody know apparently the line problem that affected my service has been resolved BUT now the new issue is a REIN interference!
This situation is simply ridiculous I'm paying a service that since two months is almost unusable (today I wasn't even able to do a speed test)
I don't want to be rude to anybody because everybody is trying to do his job but I've definitely lost my patient
MelRocks
Grafter

Hi,
I'm sorry to hear about that. REIN issues unfortunately can be one of the most awkward to resolve as there's so many things that can cause the issues, but we'll get this sorted as soon as we can.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Mel,
More to the point REIN issues can be impossible to fix because even if the source can be found, BTOR has no power to cause the source to be switched off.
@lapa,
Invariably the source of REIN is to be found in your own home - faulty PSU, Christmas tree lights, Central heating controls, cfl, TVs, microwaves... The list goes on.
The best way to start to identify REIN is to know when it is happening.  The easiest way to do that is to watch the SNRM.  Which router are you using?  There are some excellent monitoring tools which work with some routers but not others.  For example RouterStats (see links below) works well with the TG582n, some BT hubs, but the 2704n does not make the required information available.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Lapa
Dabbler

I've got the router provided by PN, a 2704N and I've never had a visit from a REIN engineer in my flat so I actually don't know what premises they are investigating at the moment.
Saying that the source of interference might not be removed I feel like PN is simply telling me "do you remember the service that you had the first two months? Well, forget it!!"
I think I will resign as soon as I can.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

If the issue is REIN changing ISPs is not going to make any difference.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Lapa
Dabbler

Just to let everybody know, after 3 weeks they told me that my rein problem was resolved (even if they didn't find any source) and now my connection is dropping again.
I hope that somebody will understand how frustrating is not having a good service in 5 months.
Is there something I can do?
Because I don't feel like my problem will ever be solved
cedlor
Grafter

I understand perfectly - If your ticket is still open tell them you are experiencing drops and ask for a radius graph.
In your position I would think about getting a cheap plusnet 582n or any router that will operate with RouterStats- with that running you will have more certainty
as to whether Rein is present or not. If you have several days to spare you can skim through my thread not far down this page..
Lapa
Dabbler

Thanks @cedlor
I think we have got the same problem, as you can see I also have something around 5m in download and something like 1m in UL (which looks pretty odd to me).
yesterday reading your post I realized that maybe I still got a REIN problem, probably caused bi my heating timer.
it's just an assumption but since all my problems started in October (when I actually started using my heating system) and since I didn't have any kind of problem the first 2 months of my contract (august, sept) probably it's connected.
I also noticed that yesterday evening when I got back from work everything was working fine until I switched my heating timer on.
what do you think?
cedlor
Grafter

Could be -  one off is not really conclusive. You need to build up a pattern of events.  Maybe switching the heating on for half an hour then off?
What type of heating is it. If it is water pumped you can tell if it is the pump  by adjusting the thermostat so it goes off.
Have you considered other devices - TV?  PC monitor.?   
A problem you might have in discovering the source is that some routers are very good at bit swapping so it disguises the problem and
dont alway switch back as soon as the problem stops. That was why I suggested Routerstats. You could always download it and test it
to see if it picks anything up from the router you have.