cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

speed drop

artificer
Grafter

speed drop

my static ip was changed recently and my speed has dropped from around 7mbps to 2.5mbps and is shown on my broadband profile as such.
i spoke with "sid" on a chat utility i cannot now find and the speed went up to 14mbps.  it subsequently dropped and has stayed at a miserable 2.5 and less for over a week.  it's almost impossible to stream video smoothly.
i'd like to know a) why was my static ip changed?
                        b) would ditching the static ip help improve speeds?
                        c) is the change of static ip responsible for the dismal speed?
                        d) "Estimated line speed:
There's no speed estimate currently held on your account."  can this be rectified?
39 REPLIES 39
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: speed drop

Hi there.
a) why was my static ip changed?

We had to free up a range of IP addresses that were being used by customers to expand our network.
b) would ditching the static ip help improve speeds?

No
c) is the change of static ip responsible for the dismal speed?

No
d) "Estimated line speed:
There's no speed estimate currently held on your account."  can this be rectified?

I've carried out some work which should resolve this.
The last agent you spoke with reset the line which increased the speeds however they've gone back down again.
I'd recommend going through our troubleshooter using the link below as there could be a issue with the line.
https://faults.plus.net
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
artificer
Grafter

thanks, matthew.  i've been through the procedures on the link you gave me and will await the outcome.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks I can see that's gone through to our Faults team.
We'll get that picked up as soon as we can.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
artificer
Grafter

there has been some activity and my broadband shows:
"Estimated line speed:
7Mb (This may vary between 6Mb and 8Mb)  - Checked on 2015-05-06 14:17:21
Current line speed:
7.1 Mb"
however, my speed is still just under 3mbps.
i switched the router off for a few minutes, but that changed nothing.
i'll wait to see if it changes over the next few days.
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

I see this is in hand with the faults team, and they are pushing for an engineer visit.
Before booking this though, I wanted to double check you had tried your master/test socket, as the SNR value is extremely high.
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
artificer
Grafter

i don't have a master/test socket.
artificer
Grafter

nigel from openreach has just visited and tells me that the line is showing 13mbps downspeed.  he also showed me on the router application that i was geting 14mbps.  still the speed test shows just under 3mbps and he concluded that plusnet is capping the line.
he changed the socket and i think the one he has put in is one of those master sockets folk speak of.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

he also showed me on the router application that i was geting 14mbps.  still the speed test shows just under 3mbps and he concluded that plusnet is capping the line.

Sad I'm not sure where he's got that from as the line is still in sync at 2839, hence the lower speeds. The numbers of errors on the line has dropped significantly though so I'd be happy to now reset the line.
I'll go do that now.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
artificer
Grafter

if you look at the package i'm on, you'll see that if i go over 13gb during the month, i get capped to 2 to 3 mbps from 1600h to midnight.  at midnight the cap is supposed to come off until the next 1600h to midnight slot.  i think what may be happening is that the automatic capper-offer mechanism is stuck in the on position.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The cap that you refer to does not impact the sync speed, it's simply applied at our side. It's your sync speed (between your router and the exchange) that's causing the problem here, that's only at 2839.
Just for completeness, I've checked the profile on our side and it's not putting any restrictions on your line.
The reset I've performed has gone through, can you log in to the router and hit disconnect and then connect.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
artificer
Grafter

just did the disconnect/reconnect and then ran a speed check.  no change.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Chris carried out a reset so there shouldn't be anything stopping the speeds from being higher.
The engineer hasn't passed the job back yet so there isn't anything I can do at present but once they have we can investigate further.
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
artificer
Grafter

yippee!  back up to just under 7mbps.  thanks for all your help.
i'll watch over the next few days to see that it continues to behave itself.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Glad to see it's increased although it's still well below the estimate for your line.
What router are you using? Your speeds have never been above 7.1mbps so I suspect it's a old one.
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team