Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

spam filtering turned on without my knowledge

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: spam filtering turned on without my knowledge

@JohnJ, the reason you're experiencing problems is likely to be due to the fact that you're one of a handful of customers who explicitly requested to be removed from the Postini platform. If you make any changes to your mailbox/spam settings then the automated scripts will re-add you to Postini's database. TBH there's no real benefit to being excluded from Postini nowadays anyway. All you need to do is set your spam filtering to 'off' and disable edge protection using the spam settings under Manage My Mail.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

hadden
Grafter

Do the automated scripts also explain why the spam settings were automatically switched on?
If so, would it be possible for users to receive an automated confirmation when their spam settings (or Postini settings) are changed, just as we do for mailbox changes under Manage My mail?
I only posted the information about Postini settings here as I suspected that some folk may assume that  Postini, as a anti-spam measure, would be switched off when you switch off the spam settings under Manage My Mail.
@Bob - thanks for your useful and informative article "Postini: Anti-spam Update February 2008" and that's the quality of info that should be more easily found from the Support pages. Naturally :), I'm interested in the bit where you said "we will be making it possible to switch Postini off via the Member Centre". Is this still on the plans?
[Not to divert the subject from the topic of this thread, I'll only say that Postini mail redirection can only have benefits for folk with spam, otherwise there are only the disadvantages].
zubel
Community Veteran

Quote from: Bob
All you need to do is set your spam filtering to 'off' and disable edge protection using the spam settings under Manage My Mail.

This basically allows all emails to come straight through Postini with no filtering or marking.
B.
tonycollinet
Grafter

A related question.
Does "edge protection" simply mark spam and direct to the spam folder - or does it blackhole anything it detects?
mikeb
Rising Star

Quote from: Bob
TBH there's no real benefit to being excluded from Postini nowadays anyway. All you need to do is set your spam filtering to 'off' and disable edge protection using the spam settings under Manage My Mail.

I'm by no means convinced of that, and particularly so as I seem to recall you suggesting that postini will still delete/refuse messages that fail to comply with the relevant RFCs (for instance) even when all filtering is turned off in a NG post somewhere  Undecided 
Whilst I have absolutely no evidence to suggest that postini actually does filter non-RFC compliant messages effectively in all cases (TBH, they often appear to let any old obvious rubbish straight through regardless from my experience) they do claim to block non-compliant or otherwise obviously dodgy messages so it is not entirely unreasonable to assume that they can (and maybe will) delete/refuse such messages if they feel like it.  I suspect that this is very much not the case when postini is totally bypassed because PN stated that ALL mail-core message filtering/blocking/processing was removed sometime back in April or thereabouts. 
As is often the case,  there appears to be insufficient published and definitive information to explain exactly what postini (and PN for that matter) does, how it does it, where it does it and what effect the various configuration options have on these actions.  I'm not so sure that I've even found a definitive statement/guarantee that whitelisted messages bypass ALL filtering let alone a definition of what actually constitutes Blatant Spam that is deleted/refused on receipt without the customer being made aware of it.  I also have little faith in the setting of the various PN mail options doing exactly what they claim to do in any case in the light of various previous issues where they quite clearly didn't and not to mention the fact that different customers have quite clearly had different (and not visible or user definable) postini configuration options applied to their A/Cs at various times (relative to the majority of other customers) for no apparent or intended reason.  In these instances, postini performance has at best been unpredictable and most certainly not doing exactly what PN said it was doing.

B T Plusnet, a bit kinda like P T Barnum ...

... but quite often appears to feature more clowns Tongue
hadden
Grafter

@Bob
Thanks, I now see that the Postini configuration is intended to be an implied setting of the other options.
However switching off the "through Postini" option was the action I was expecting. Is there any other way to define "off"?