Bushy1972
Dabbler

Re: slow speed

Yes the router is always on but nothing was streaming this morning
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

@Bushy1972, you've had a lot of problems, culminating (as best I can tell) with not getting the download speeds in practise that you ought to.  I don't think a "line test" will ever reveal this problem.  And as such it only requires that your router is on.

One possible cause of your problem is that one of your internet-enabled devices is doing something that you are not aware of.  When you run a speed test you are only testing the bandwidth that is not already in use.  There was a suggesting made that your upload capacity is 'maxed out'.  Was the cause of this identified and addressed?  Perhaps you are running one of those torrent programs that uploads files from your computer?  Or perhaps your computer has a virus that is busy distributing files elsewhere?      

Bushy1972
Dabbler

Thank you but when I do a speed test the wifi is turned off on the router and only the computer used for the test in wired to the router I have tried 3 different laptops including one from some one that works with computer issues as a job this is a bit of a puzzle
Also when doing a speed test through bt wholesale the results are always around 6 meg and through ookla they-vary between 6-12 meg so don't know which one to believe
ejs
Aspiring Hero

Perhaps use Task Manager on the computer to show the download and upload speeds.

Bushy1972
Dabbler

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Clearly you are running the speed tests carefully with wi-fi off and trying several different machines.  Which router are you using because it's not using the typical IP address range of a Plusnet router?

In message 12 I drew your attention to a problem that had been highlighted with your uploads and asked you how that had been resolved.  You have not answered that question yet.    

Bushy1972
Dabbler

Hi the router I'm using is a net gear nighthawk d700
In answer to your question that test was run with a Hd tv running and mobile phone that I did not know was on so that was my fault it was high so I sent another and that one was fine with nothing on
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

But you might as well ask Plusnet to uncap your upload speed.  The test results look a bit low already so it would be interesting to verify that it goes up when the cap is removed.

By the way, faults like yours are normally posted to the Broadband section of the forum https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/bd-p/Broadband .  You might get more help there.

Have a look at this pinned post https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/ADSL-Speed-faults/td-p/1270245 .  What are you told if you follow the link to determine your current line speed?

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat) Topic moved to more appropriate board.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Just a thought but also worth doing the 'Further Diganostics' as part of the BT Wholesale Speed Test.  

All the possibilities I can think of for your symptoms are:

• Your router is faulty (but probably not because you have tried several).
  • Your computer is doing downloads you don't know about (but probably not because you have tried several).
  • Plusnet's connection to your telephone exchange has more users than it can cope with.  That typically gives you good speeds at off-peak hours but slow speeds during peak hours of internet use.
  • The equipment in the telephone exchange is faulty and cannot give you close to your negotiated speed.
  • Your speed is software-limited by a 'stuck profile'.