cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

slow peer to peer ?

jim306
Grafter

slow peer to peer ?

Just downloading a torrent file about 80mb and it seems im stuck at around 40-50kbps while im connected to lots of seeds. It should still be off peak time for my as im on premier option 1. Is anyone else seeing slow peer to peer speeds today?
11 REPLIES 11
mcgurka
Grafter

Re: slow peer to peer ?

no, im seeing alright speeds today.
Could be the torrent you are trying, although you are connected to many seeds, they still may not upload very quickly.
Also, sometimes you need to watch how many seeds/peers you try and connect to, since a large number of open connections can slow down the connection.
This is because each packet recieved must be acknowledged by sending out what is known as an ACK packet.
Try lowering the number of max open connections, or try a different torrent to check that out. Perhaps from fedora.redhat.com. there torrents are always exceptionally fast!
jim306
Grafter

This download has nearly done now but ill try to adjust my max connections on another. What would you recommend setting it too on a 2500kbps connection?
James
Grafter

Hi there,
You shouldn't be seeing speeds quite as low as that.  Might be worth trying to reconnect to a different gateway to see if that resolves the issue, or it may be solely related to the seeds that you are connected to.
jim306
Grafter

Which are the best gateways to connect to at the moment?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Are you seeing 40kbps or 40KBs? I ask because the second one is around what we would expect on Premier between 12-2 as per this page.
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/archive/bb_premier1.shtml
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
James
Grafter

It's looking like PTN-AG1, THN-AG1 & £ and PCL-ag01.
jim306
Grafter

sorry i meant 40KB/s
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

That would explain it then Wink P2P starts being slowed at 12 down to 448Kbps as per the previous page. Hope this helps.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jim306
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
Are you seeing 40kbps or 40KBs? I ask because the second one is around what we would expect on Premier between 12-2 as per this page.
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/archive/bb_premier1.shtml

I was always lead to believe that with a premier option 1 you were not restricted until 4pm. Seems i was wrong  Lips_are_sealed
jim306
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
That would explain it then Wink P2P starts being slowed at 12 down to 448Kbps as per the previous page. Hope this helps.

man thats such a depressing speed, its not like ive got a 7000kbps line to make some time up when the restriction is lifted. Does my head in when ive got my pc on overnight cus i can hear it when im trying to get to sleep, even though its in another room  Angry
Might have to invest in some veg oil and submerge my pc like that bloke on youtube  Cool
James
Grafter

That's true.  We do imply some restrictions like Chris has already said, but we do do it for a reason.  The rate limitations are in place to ensure a fair share of the P2P traffic that's available during that time.