cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

slow fiber speed (installed 2-4-2014)

tonyevo5
Dabbler

slow fiber speed (installed 2-4-2014)

i upgraded to fiber yesterday. could you please update my speed.
i have connected a pc directly to the openreach modem & my d/l is 5.3mb u/l 1.0mb, slower than copper.
thanks in advance.
T.
18 REPLIES 18
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: slow fiber speed (installed 2-4-2014)

Hi T.
That's sorted for you, if you don't see a difference when you next go online then give your router a reboot.
tonyevo5
Dabbler

Chris.
thanks for reply, but no speed change.
bt test today pc direct connect to modem
d/l  5.79mbps
u/l  0.73mbps
ping 38.5ms
please advise.
T.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hmmmm.... Can you run a speed test and run 'further diagnostics' once it's complete so we can check you IP profile?
tonyevo5
Dabbler

chris.
ran further diagnostics, result.
Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information.

thanks for help
T.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've run some further checks on your line and a fault has been identified, I've updated your fault ticket regarding this which you can view here.
tonyevo5
Dabbler

chris,
openreach eng called today (sat).
thanks for getting them out so quick.
I still cant see any speed increase.
The speed, all be it lower than the standard ppoa connection seems fairly constant both when connected directly to pc or through my newly purchased tplink ppoe router, so my network is not adversely affecting the performance.
please advise.
T.
tonyevo5
Dabbler

chris,
I have today, received a message via my land line answering machine , which i am finding difficult to digest..
If i comprehend the message details correctly, its informing me that the best speed available via fibre is actually lower than my previous full copper line.
this is your stated speed estimate:
Phone exchange: TAMWORTH
Estimated line speed: 56Mb

(Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.)  - Checked on 2014-03-12 13:04:09
Surely the estimate can not be that far out, estimated 56mb actual 5.7mb.
I have just driven the distance between house & cabinet & get approx 1.6km.
The line does pass through a number of trees that are touching the cables, perhaps they are causing earth faults.
This is the result of  BTs check of speed for my line today (monday).
Great News! You can get fibre optic BT Infinity:
56Mb-75Mb*  Estimated download speed range.
17Mb-20Mb*  Estimated upload speed range.
Can you please check if this is a mistake.
I have had a day off work & purchased a ppoe router to get fibre BB installed.
I have also changed my phone line provider from bt to plusnet to obtain the best fibre terms, only to lower my speed.
I await your reply.
a fowler.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi,
We've reviewed the notes left by the engineer which states that the total length of cabling between your premises to the FTTC Cabinet is 2.5KM. Unfortunately this is the reason for the low speeds. The wire between your property telephone pole has 28 others between you and the cabinet before it reaches there, which is the reason for the lower speeds.
FTTC suffers a lot more over longer distances over ADSL due to the higher frequency used. We could look at getting you moved over and onto ADSL is this is going to give you better value for money as I appreciate, the speed estimates, in this case are much, much lower than estimated.
If you could give us a call on 0800 432 0200 we'll see what we can do for you as I appreciate this has been an all round frustrating experience for you.
tonyevo5
Dabbler

chris or chris.
Its common knowledge that BT own plusnet & openreach.
In public statements BT state there commitment to provide super fast broadband to the masses & yet here i am 2km from the newly upgraded fiber connection, getting super slow not super fast.
There are a number of large distribution commercial units within 600 meters of my property that do not connect to the t-phone poles system, so maybe there is an alternative route to me via there system.
i may be clutching at straws, but could you investigate the possibility, before reverting to full copper ppoa.
i have added my mobile number to my account details, please contact me if you need to.
thanks in advance.
a fowler.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Our Faults Team have got your response on the ticket and they will get this looked at to see if there is a different/shorter route that can be taken.
I will be honest though, it's going to be unlikely that there will be anything that BT will do to do this.
I appreciate that BT advertise Superfast Broadband, unfortunately this isn't going to be the case for everyone, especially with lines that are on the longer side. We'll certainly see if we can find out what route they are using and see where we go from there.
tonyevo5
Dabbler

@ chris,
thanks, can't ask for more than that.
fingers crossed.
a fowler.
tonyevo5
Dabbler

@chris.
openreach are trying hard to improve my connection. been working on the line since lunch.
corrected a few poor joints but so far no joy curing the detected high resistance fault.
they have stopped for now due to shift change over.
BIG THANKS for your efforts.
A fowler.
tonyevo5
Dabbler

@chris.
a few more faults found & corrected, but alas no speed improvement.
so its back to adsl2.
thanks for trying
a fowler.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks fr letting us know.
Out of interest, what speeds are you getting on http://speedtest.btwholesale.com, I'm particularly interested in the IP Profile that you get when completing 'Further Diagnostics'.